MSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro USB Adapter
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: MSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro USB Adapter

Hybrid View

Question MSoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro USB Adapter

Hey there Gamers,

I have a sidewinder joystick (force feedback) p/n 96755. I bought it in 1999. It works great and is in excellent condition.

My son got a new computer with only one port in which the flat panel monitor plug is using (cheap factory builds!). I am looking for an adapter from my 15 pin male connector to USB. I found a few of them online. However, they do not support all models of the force feedback joystick? What gives?

Has anyone done this before? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adelaide, South Australia
    Adapters are a bit of trial-and-error unfortunately. I tried a few to see if I could salvage my old Logitech Wingman Interceptor, but in the end I gave up.

Anything more than a 2-axis, 4-button joystick is going above and beyond what the game port is specified for. With a real game port you can get around that using drivers and stuff, but once you put a USB adapter with its own drivers in the middle things start to get tough.

Your best bet would probably be a PCI game port adapter if you can get one, but I think they're pretty much extinct. Apparently Microsoft stopped shipping game port drivers in Vista too.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks Tuttle.

I have my eye on a later version sidewinder on e-bay which comes with a USB adapter as part of the deal.

Wish me luck.

OUT of my MIND
    the controllers/joysticks are really cheap on ebay. sometimes u can find them just as cheap on newegg and tigerdirect

Thread Information