beep codes for a gateway
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: beep codes for a gateway

beep codes for a gateway

well my sis gave me her old pc a gateway perfomance 1400 reinstalled all the old startup discs for a fresh start for my daughter everything went fine .so before she came and got it i thought i should fire it back up and make sure it was good to go.now it beeps twice and goes to a screen i can get into setup and thats all it will do.so i got on gatewway support and they wanted me to sign up for a pay support thing then gave me a link to some other help i thuink but before i could click on it the dude ended the session and i couldnt get back to the link. they are lame ! so here i am pleading for some true reliable real support. if you can help me out ill really appreciate it thanks

by the way its 2 quick beeps ? p4 423 rambus memory

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

do you think its the memory

i thought cpu

Socket 423 and rdram: strikes one and two!

Of course you want to get it running if it's something simple. Rdram can be pricey even used. Try reseating it first. It needs to be used in pairs, I think, like the old 72-pin ram.

it has 2 pairs of ram i guess ill eliminate one pair at a time thanks for the help .anyone know if the 2 beeps indicate memory or something else?

Rambus needs all slots filled to run properly, so you should clean and reseat all the ram at one time.

anyone know if the 2 beeps indicate memory or something else?
    According to the FAQ link Shinma posted, that seems to be it.

If it's giving you a screen, that's a good sign. If it lets you into "setup" which I presume is the bios, I'd look around in the bios and see if there's anything I could change. But then I'd "clear cmos" or reset the bios. I'd also disconnect the drives, and reconnect them one by on, seeing if it will boot to a bootable disk in any of them.
    If either the cpu or the board were gone, you should not get any display at all.

Thread Information