Spilt drink on laptop
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Spilt drink on laptop

Unhappy Spilt drink on laptop

Have spilt a glass of coke over laptop. it has stopped working completely. We are not techies. We know we have to buy a new laptop, but is there any way of getting all the data from the HDD. We have lost a load of pics and data from our college courses. We did not back it up. Any ideas anybody please... can anything be done???

You may not have killed the laptop, but we can deal with that later, after trying to get the data off.

Go to your computer store and buy an adapter that allows you to hook up your notebook hard drive as a slave to your desktop. You can remove the hard drive from the notebook (your manual should tell you what screws on the back to remove), attach the adapter, put it in your desktop and go from there.

You can then access the drive like any other slave drive, and if the gods are good, you can copy and paste over your data.

I don't know what laptop you have and whether your drive is an IDE drive or a SATA. Here is a link to what the adapter looks like for an IDE drive-

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

Post back with what the brand and model number is, etc.

Dell Inspiron 1725 I think the HDD is SATA. Thanks

If you can't get an adapter to go from SATA, you may find that the easiest and cheapest way to go is to use an external hard drive enclosure and hook the notebook drive up that way via USB. They are not expensive and are readily available. Odds are that your hard drive is okay, even if the rest of the laptop isn't, and when the dust settles you will have a backup device.

sata connectors on laptop drives are exactly the same as desktop drives. some laptops have a secondary adapter that is plugged in over the original sata connectors, which is simply removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    sata connectors on laptop drives are exactly the same as desktop drives. some laptops have a secondary adapter that is plugged in over the original sata connectors, which is simply removed.
    I was wondering about those 4 unused pins on a 2.5" sata laptop drive I am using in an SMP Folding@home machine. I hooked up the SATA power cable and data cable and all is well.
    There are USB docks where you just plug your Laptop (or 3.5" drive) into the dock and store/retrieve files.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks
    ... There are USB docks where you just plug your Laptop (or 3.5" drive) into the dock and store/retrieve files.
    Link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If its IDE you can pick up one of these extremely cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5PCS-NEW-2-5-HD-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have litterally a dozen i keep around at home, office and on the job.

And as for the laptop itself, if it's only the keyboard, they're reasonably simple to replace. Once it's off you ought to be able to see if the cola got below the keyboard into anything else.

For the majority of recent laptops, pry up the plastic stip above the keyboard, remove two screws holding down tabs at the top of the keyboard, pull it up to remove the ribbon cables from the motherboard and as you pull it up two tabs that tuck under the lower cover will come out. The ribbon cables release by pulling up a collar around the plastic slot the cable fits into.

Thread Information