Problem with HP nx6110
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem with HP nx6110

Unhappy Problem with HP nx6110

Hi All!

I've been using an HP nx6110 laptop since last two years. Recently it has started giving problems-the system hangs once the booting is complete. And sometimes even when the booting is going on. The configuration that was preinstalled is:

256 MB RAM
    40 GB Hard Disk
    Celeron processor

I've recently upgraded to:
    80 GB Hard Disk(Replaced the previous one)
    1 GHz processor(put in the external slot)

Do you guys have any suggestions???

I always start with a memtest and hard drive diag. Both can be found on UBCD.
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

Use Memtest+ and the hd manufacturer's diag. if you don't know what brand of HD you have, start with seatools.

1 GHz processor(put in the external slot)
    You can't upgrade a processor like that. Do you mean you added 1GB of ram?

Assuming that Midknyte is right about adding RAM, what happens if you take out the stick of RAM that you added? Does the problem go away? Are you sure that the RAM is compatible with your laptop? They can be very picky.

If you use memtest86+, test one stick of RAM at a time, and let it run longer than you think you need to-several passes. You are looking for zero errors.

Yes Guys!

I've added the RAM in the external slot. But the problem had started before adding the RAM itself. The system was hanging on its own without any change in hardware configuration with the same OS (Windows XP) that I've been using since last two years.

At that moment I had assumed that the HD might be having some problem and decided to go for a change in the HD. I replaced it with an 80GB HD and also affixed a 1GB RAM in the external slot. The system booted well for the first time but started hanging afterwards. And the problem still persists.

I've no clue what to do this time...

Hello!

Adding to that, I've already installed the specified drivers from the HP-support site(inclusive of BIOS drivers, Audio drivers, graphics etc.). I had done this without changing the Hardware configuration, as well as after changing that.

The system was hanging before as well as after changing hardware configuration. I think, I should go with memtest86+, or may be Windows Memory Tester. Haven't conducted a test yet in my life. Do you guys have any other suggestions???

As to memtest86+, suggest that you test the RAM one stick at a time. Let it run several passes. The result should be zero errors.

Have you ever tried running the machine with just the new stick of RAM, taking out the old one?

nx6110 has manufacturing defect

Hi jack.

I can only feel for you. I have the same laptop with the same symptoms only to find out from a similar chat forum at the HP website that there are many more similar cases. ''Type this adress (http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1213009943384+28353475&threadId=1096080)" or just google "nx6110 freezes/hangs"

The lap top your having has a manufacturing defect. i.e, problem with a large intel chip just below the mouse pad. It becomes loose after a certain period.

Ope i've been of help

Angry

It seems that Man Oush has been correct in stating that the intel chipset loosens after a certain period of time.

In my system, when it hangs, I tap it on either sides of the Touchpad, or may be press it alongside the touchpad to make it run again.

Haven't got enough time to open it and check manually, but it seems that giving it to the HP service center is the last option available.

Thread Information