[RESOLVED] Windows Problem - helpctr.exe virus? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Problem - helpctr.exe virus?

how many times did u PUNCH that USB keyboard in the past??!!!

I know I'm coming in late, but I'm all for the keyboard theory. What you're seeing in both Firefox and the command prompt is the result of pressing F7, so if you're not pressing it I reckon the keyboard is sending scan codes all by itself.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

whutsupdoc, zero times. Its the original gaming edition of Logitechs G15 (quality kb, not cheap by any means and not the new watered down version). So it really upsets me that im having issues with it.

Tuttle, it appears thats the case here. Had zero problems afterwards with the new keyboard i swapped in.

Just to make sure that really was the case and so i didnt run into any other issues I went ahead and removed the driver that was causing issues when attempting to boot into safe mode.. but then my system hung on mup.sys. I gave up and just ran repair mode using my xp cd. However install had some issues finding files (even though they were present on the cd and in the i386 folder). I just canceled out all, finished installing windows..

Now ive ran into more issues. I installed sp3 via windows update but for some reason it doesnt recognize, it still shows me as having only sp2 and something screwed up the 200gb drive i added the other day. I cant view the partitions and it treats it as its unformatted. Ran maxtors utitilities thinking it would apply the fix to windows again to accept larger drives but it prompted me to add it as a new drive and format. Maxtor doesnt see it as well. Really great too... i had just finished backing up important data to that drive.

Now its time to fix yet another issue.. :-( Definately not a good week for me.

could it be u might need a bios UPGRADE to run SP3??? ,,,,,, i know i had to upgrade my bios to run SP2!!!

The same problem, in the same time

I'm Italian, and excuse me if my English is not so good. I'm having the same problem. I will restart the installation of windows without using the usb-jack for the keyboard.

whutsupdoc, in this case it was a problem with reinstalling my sp2 cd over an existing installation that used my original windows xp pro oem cd. Bios on that board is the latest.

I fixed all issues, reinstalled everything and machine was working fine. All up until i noticed strange power issues occuring more often (machine kept rebooting out of no where). Ive had these issues on and off in this machine the past while. I took everything a part and it seems the culprit is the PSU. Four of the ATX power leads were burnt, as well on the board itself. Ive since rebuilt a new machine, ditched the PSU and ive put the board aside till i have more time to troubleshoot it before tossing it into the junk bin.

After all this im convinced there is possibly a good chance the original problems were related to the power issues. When i get time off work to deal with my own machines again im going to test out the logitech keyboard more thorough.

buzz44, thats a good start. If you dont have a non usb keyboard you can pick up cheap usb to ps2 adaptors at your local pc shop.

When you look at the psu connector, I'll bet you all of the burnt pins are connected to wires of one colour, probably red. IIRC the red are +5V and the yellow are +12V. I've seen this on a couple of boards. One had a known issue with a weak voltage regulator on the motherboard.

Smile Keyboard is enough

Incredible !!! I have now changed the keyboard with a old one, that I bought in the 2000 with my first computer, and the problem is solved. I think G4mingEvolution exagerated buying an expansive keyboard, nice and cool with the little screen, but too expansive . Many tanks folks, I hope this would be the last Windows Xp installation!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    When you look at the psu connector, I'll bet you all of the burnt pins are connected to wires of one colour, probably red. IIRC the red are +5V and the yellow are +12V. I've seen this on a couple of boards. One had a known issue with a weak voltage regulator on the motherboard.
    Yeah you're exactly right. Its the 4 red +5V pins, the 2 bottom side leads housing/pins are completely black and the other 2 are yellowish brown. There is also 2 orange wires which pins housing are yellowish. The PSU still powers on but I dont want to risk using it. The board shows no signs of browning on the back nor can i find anything on the front. The 4 male +5V pins on the boards atx socket are brown in color. The orange ones I cannot make out, doesn't appear to be any discoloration.

Do you think the board is most likely the culprit here or the PSU?

Ive attached some images to show the damage. (please forgive the poor image quality)

PSU ATX SIDE 1

PSU ATX SIDE 2

BOARD ATX

My guess would be the motherboard drawing too much current through those pins. The higher quality psu's will shut down for an overcurrent load, and should be okay after cooling and resetting. For a generic I would not be so confident that something in the psu might have been damaged. If for whatever reason I had confidence in the psu, I'd still need to clean the pins on the connector so they could make proper contact.

The PSU is an older ANTEC, Model: SL400 400 watt. http://www.antec.com/specs/sl400_spe.html

Any idea what could cause the motherboard to draw so much current through those pins?

I would guess the motherboard's power supply section, particularly the voltage regulator chip (because it happened to me on an old socket A board).

Thanks, Ill definately be looking into these issue again and in detail when i get time.

Since you seem to know a good deal on PSU's and power related issues whats your opinion on shielded power cleaning adaptors like this - http://www.xpcgear.com/vgahddpowlead.html ? Do you think it would be worth the investment for older PSU's and or in workplaces with dirty power? I thought about throwing a few of those into some machines to help protect the HD's.

Also had just a few more q's if you dont mind me asking.

Whats your opinion on this PSU - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2700093

Whats your opinion on the quality of the brands Nspire, Kingwin, Enermax and ePower?

The "Power Supplies to Avoid/Generics" Thread lists Ultra as a brand to avoid.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

I found positive reviews on ultra's new line of PSU's on the PSU link in DanceMans signature. Im giving it a try, if anything fails ill switch to a different brand.

Thread Information