GRID Demo now available :)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GRID Demo now available :)

GRID Demo now available :)

krupted, thought this might interest you.

The demo of Codemasters' latest - GRID - is now available. It looks incredible, just d/loading it now

http://www.gamershell.com/download_25620.shtml

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

NOTE: When I tried to run the game (on Vista) I got an error that 'the application failed to start as OpenAL32.dll was not found'.

Ran the installer again (choosing to repair), and this time it said d3dx9_37.dll was not found.

Fixed it by downloading the latest DirectX 10 update from HERE.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Looks very nice indeed - few quick screenshots I grabbed:

M.C.S.A.

well those screens look nothing like the demo on my machine, but i tell you what, this game is very playable on a 7800gt! im amazed that i can actually play this demo, my machine would not even think about running DiRT- and this is the same engine.

they clearly tweaked up this game engine and it looks fantastic! the hell with the reviews that say the physics arent real- to me they seem to mimic real and otherwise its all out FUN.

not to mention, for the first time ever in my experience, you can START the game, and THEN plug in your xbox 360 controller into the computer, and it works perfectly. JUST like a console now- no setup, no starting the game after the controller has been plugged in, it just works now no matter what. finally, about after a decade of wanting play-then-plug controllers for computers i got it.

i cant wait to get my new video card now. ill have money come the second week of june i think. i need to start looking at a video card- no more then $200 this time. my $300 7800gt lasted a good three years i guess... not too bad really but not great.

any suggestions on a gfx card? pairing it up with my trusty opty165 and 3gb ddr400 ram

ps- ive been waiting over 3 years for this game to come out. after playing the demo i feel its going to be exactly what i hoped for. this will probably be the only game ill play for the next couple years... anyone want to donate me one of those logitech g25 wheels?
    Last edited by krupted; May 11th, 2008 at 11:49 AM.

I love my 3870. I paid $200 for it in Feb, now they are cheaper.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

i already preorderd grid, and if i could i would buy this card right now- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150267

i still have till the end of the month to get the rebate. $23O for a 9800gtx basically? ill take it!

Not bad. Finally, after over a year, we get powerful DX10 cards for under $250.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    well those screens look nothing like the demo on my machine, but i tell you what, this game is very playable on a 7800gt! im amazed that i can actually play this demo, my machine would not even think about running DiRT- and this is the same engine.

they clearly tweaked up this game engine and it looks fantastic! the hell with the reviews that say the physics arent real- to me they seem to mimic real and otherwise its all out FUN.
    that was my first thought. They've clearly worked very hard at optimizing the engine, as it runs sooo much better than DiRT, even though it looks a little prettier. With my 8800GT, I'm running it at 1280*1024, 4xAA, with everything on, and it looks amazing.

I just like watching the post-race replays - the graphics are so good it's almost like watching TV if you squint a bit

M.C.S.A.

youre looking at it with techie eyes. with just toca race driver 3 my bro thought the replays were real video... i know this game looks spookily realistic.

speakig of the replays- congrats to codemasters on THE. BEST. REPLAY. UI. EVER. it reminds me of dreamcast 2k1 replays... so easy to control, so good. so good.... wtf man its like another 3 weeks before i can even think of playing this game. i waited 3 years and now 3 weeks seems unbearable.

price drop on video cards due to new models coming soon. 8800gts g92 version can be had for $177 shipped right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134037

the full game is now available in the UK, hoping it will arrive in the post today, especially as I quit my job on Friday.

M.C.S.A.

i wish i could quit my job.. i work for beans and rice and ive already missed saturday this week because im sick as a dog. if i miss today (its 4:30am) i might as well call in the whole week its that bad of pay!

and yeah, im up at 4:30am on a monday! never in my life before have i done this... i feel like sh*t!

and i havent even been able to play the grid demo all weekend. ive been home, stuff to do but nothing got done. for the last three days ive litterally been too sick to play video games! i can only think back to those childhood days when i 'said' i was sick but i was playing games all day long haha..

as far as the demo goes though- i think its pretty much what i hoped for. im sad that there will be no pitstops, and no tuning/adjusting your cars before races (actually, both those things are a REAL drag but they dont break the game).

And i still don't know how sold i am on the physics. at first it seemed like i was racing hovercrafts... but after i turned the steering linearity down to zero and i also took off all the assisted driving things got much better. This game is definitely ARCADE, but it also gives you a feel of the car's balance and acceleration better then any video game ive played. the slight leans and shifts the car makes through various turns and stuff is highly detailed. you can even see the whole car jive when you play with the gas pedal when youre sittin still... that type of detail is awesome.

I just bought an 8800GTS G92 card off newegg for $177 shipped after rebate. the next day the card shot up to $207 shipped so i felt good about that one! I also preorderd the game from the egg too... but i did notice they said they ship on the 4th? it was supposed to be the third in the states, but whatever it was $38 shipped.

but as excited as i am to go open wheel racing in the new race driver game, ive also noticed myself looking at other games too now. that video card i have is basically the same thing as a 9800gtx, i can finally play all the games that have come out in the last year! i believe im finally well-past the xbox360 in eye candy now!

Lastly i just want to note how impressed i am still with my 7800gt too. it plays GRID really well for its age! you only get medium/high details and medium resolutions, but the game still looks better with that then toca3 did maxed out. and the framerates are perfect! honestly after looking at various screenshots out there, i dont think this video card upgrade will do as much as i hoped. well, i guess i just mean i didnt think the new codemaster's engine would run so well on my old hardware! DiRT's NEON engine was 1 or 2 fps if i was lucky on medium settings... and they do some 'tweaking' and now i can run it 30fps+??? talk about optimization....
    Last edited by krupted; June 2nd, 2008 at 06:11 AM.

hope you're feelin better dude

that's a good deal on the GTS, we couldn't dream of finding one even for $207 in the UK. Very cheapest would be about $300 I'd say.

Yeah forget console graphics now, your PC will easily outshine anything PS3/360 can do

well I have the game now but haven't had time to play it yet kinda feel like i should be job hunting, plus I have a list of DIY jobs to do which I need to get done while I have the chance. I know what you mean about the handling - you couldn't call this a simulator (unlike GTR 2) but screw it, it's still damn good fun to play.

Getting OT, I'm kinda busy packing too, as we're off to see Foo Fighters at the new Wembley Stadium on Friday, man I can't wait

M.C.S.A.

feelin all good again. ive been drinking tons of water just to keep up my hydro losses from all the snot. yeah.

got my card, HUGE difference in this game! the handling is fixed now- i know it sounds weird but what i think is happening is this game doesnt get choppy when the system is taxed- it gets slow. like a slight slow motion, it looks smooth but you get input lag. this is why i thought the car felt floaty.

not anymore. it is plain awesome now. this game is so fun- i absolutely love the handling/physics. they may not be completely real, but theyre exactly how video game racers should be.

yeah it plays pretty nice from where I'm sat

M.C.S.A.

Thread Information