My BFG 7900 GS OC Is Fast(er) as Most 8xxx Cards ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: My BFG 7900 GS OC Is Fast(er) as Most 8xxx Cards ?

My BFG 7900 GS OC Is Fast(er) as Most 8xxx Cards ?

I was going to purchase a new video card ahead of buying the rest of my parts for my new build. I currently own a BFG 7900 GS OC. I was looking to buy a new 8 series. After doing some research, I found that many 8XXX cards were slower or the same in performance as my 7900. There are so many designations, it is hard to keep them straight.

Am I correct in thinking that many of the 8 series cards are not fast at all, and are only designed to offer DirectX performance? Which middle-range card would give me a moderate performance gain over my 7900 GS OC? I am looking to spend around $170. I will be willing to hit the $200 mark. And I have cruised Tom's VGA charts. Oh yeah - I am using and will be using a PCI-E interface with somewhere around an AMD 5600 X2.

Thanks for any info.

dmm is offline Linda's verbal backstop
    You will see a big improvement with a Radeon 3850, Geforce 9600GT or Radeon 3870.

Dave

dmm -

I picked up a BFG 7900GT OC to install in my current system before I build my new one. It seems I ran into a more than rare problem with the card; it just "shuts down." It quites sending a signal to the monitor and things go black. The system is still running, but the video goes kaput. There is much speculation on this, but through my research I have discovered that it happens to systems of all kinds regardless of components. I have tinkered with everything, but it still occurs. As a result, I have a new card on order from Newegg. I ordered an 8800GT. I will be returning the 7900 GT.

As for performance, I saw little or no gain on my current system with the 7900 which is a humble AMD 4000+. I really did not expect too, as I am sure the CPU was the lowest common denominator between the two. It will be interesting to compare the performance of the 8800GT. I will be installing that before I gather all the other components for my new build, which will for sure take advantage of the improved potential of the 8800.

Sorry I didn't mention the 8800GT Speeed. You did list $200 as a max but it kinda looked like you wanted to keep it around the $170 mark.

Anyway I bet you will see a pretty good jump in performance. But you are right you really wont be pushing the 8800GT until you build the new system around it with a nice dual or quad core.

BTW - Since you are staying with AMD give the 5000+ Black Edition some consideration. It runs 2.6 ghz stock and is very overclock-able due to an unlocked multiplier.

Dave
    Last edited by dmm; March 20th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

dmm -

I removed the 7900 and installed the 8800. The 8800 is easily faster than the 7900 in my system, which is an AMD 4000+. Without any formal benchmarking, I am confident that the 8800 is at least 20% faster in my system. That leads me to believe the inherent design of the 8800 offloads more graphics processing from the CPU than the 7900. However . . . if pushed with a faster processor, the 7900 could keep up with the 8800 if oc'ed. It would have to work harder, but that is my layman's opinion.

Now I need to get the rest of my parts!

I have to be honest here Speeed. The 7900GS was a great bang for the buck performance card, but there is no way in hell it will keep up with an 8800GT.

The 8800GT is faster than 2, 7900GS cards in SLI.
    It even edges out the ($650 18 months ago) 7950 X2.

I'll bet the folks that bought one of those back then are confident in their purchase

Dave

dmm -

oops - I mixed up my nomenclature. Topic header states "7900 GT" and in my post I state "7900 GS." The card discussed is indeed a GT. I apologize. When discussing computers these days there are so many prefixes, suffixes, middlefeffexs (not a word but what the heck), numbers, etc. that I get easily confused. I am surprised I did not state my card as dual core 64 nvidia x1950.

Sorry for my confusion. Who was that ancient Chinese philosopher . . .Confusion? Or something like that.

Thread Information