Disgusted with ATI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Disgusted with ATI

Disgusted with ATI

I've used ATI AIW cards for years and have been satisfied for the most part. But I do have a bone of contention with them. Every time there is a driver upgrade, it renders the TV tuner useless. Furthermore, I have to reinstall all ATI software, including the old driver, for it to work again, which is a royal pain. Of course, after that Windows update reminds me there are new drivers for my ATI card. And recently, on one of my systems, I had to enable VGA mode on boot up to get the monitor to work. I'm assuming that's the reason for the update from ATI posted on the Windows update page.

Has anyone found a better TV/ graphics card combination either separately or together that is more dependable?

Thanks,
    Scratch

ive been using theater 550 and 650 cards for years now with no problems at all. theyre great products...

I think that is why ATI stopped making AIW cards altogether. For one, if you ever want to upgrade your video card, you have to throw out your tuner with the old card. It's just cheaper and easier to have a dedicated, easily swappable graphics card and a dedicated tuner that can stay put.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Thanks, Krupted

Are these cards only TV tuners or combo graphics and tuners in one?

For some unknown reason ATI in their huge driver download does not include the instructions needed to install their drivers. Therefore, until ATI does include these instructions it is necessary to read the 'driver cleaner pro' instructions about disabling internet connection, the cabinet cleaner stuff and trying to intall in safe mode.

I ignored all assuming 2008 and was faced with serious roblems which i rectified by buying a new hard drive, reinstalling windows, 4 hours with Microsoft help in India online. Mine a Sapphire.

Really crazy world I think.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

Quote Originally Posted by ScratchFBST
    ... Are these cards only TV tuners or ...
    TV tuner/capture/record... only.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

yep no AIW's anymore. trust me, the theater 550/650 cards are good. you really shouldnt have any problems.

I would take the advice given here. The last AIW card I had was a x850 and while I did like it A LOT. I especially liked that it would capture to MPEG-4 and had the VideoSoap that did a decent job of cleaning up video noise.
    It had the same problem you mentioned with driver upgrade screwing up the turner, and that was the least of my problems. After that one died and RMA'd it, I realized the what a hassle it was to have no video card for two weeks.
    Separate cards are better and more flexiible since you can mix and match to your budget and taste. I have an ATI 650 in one PC and a Hauppauge PVR-250 in another and both are good cards.
    Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 | AMD X2 5400 Windsor 2.8GHz | 4X 1G G.Skill DDR800 | Sapphire 4850 512MB | 3X 320Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA | Corsair HX520 PSU | Asus E616A3T DVD-ROM| Pioneer DVR-116 | Logitech G7 | Nostromo n52 | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer |Creative Gigaworks T20 | Samsung 226BW 22" | Acer 1917LA 19" |Dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Thread Information