Help! How do I check motherboard and processor to see if they are shot?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help! How do I check motherboard and processor to see if they are shot?

Help! How do I check motherboard and processor to see if they are shot?

I need to know how to diagnose if my motherboard and/or processor are shot. Yesterday, my computer shut off and when I restarted it, I got the 4 long beeps. I ran Intel's Active monitor and found my processor was running at 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I shut the computer off and checked the heat sink. It was working, but the thermal compound had not completely covered the area the had contact with the processor. I cleaned the processor and heat sink and applied new thermal compound. When I tried to restart the computer, I have no monitor. I have tested the monitor and it works with my laptop. I am unsure how to test my motherboard and processor without the video. The motherboard does have integrated video, so I'm wondering if just the video is the problem. I have an Intel desktop microATX board with a Pentium 4 processor. This is the link for the specs on my motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-012059.htm

This motherboard uses a PCI Express x16 for the video card and I don't have access to one without buying one. However, funds are limited at this time so I don't want to buy a video card if the motherboard is shot. I would like to just purchase a motherboard to go with my existing P4 processor if it is not shot. Is there a way to test my motherboard or processor besides using a known good device?

Thank you for any and all advice
    Stephanei

I think you probably meant 86 degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Here is a link that may help on the beep codes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

It can be done, but processors are pretty hard to kill, particularly with overheating protection.

When you try to boot the computer, do fans spin? Can you hear the hard drive spinning? When it boots, do the leds on the keyboard light up? Can you shut it down with the power on switch on the front of the tower by holding it down for 6 sec or so, or do you have to use the switch on the back of the psu?

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    When you try to boot the computer, do fans spin? Can you hear the hard drive spinning? When it boots, do the leds on the keyboard light up? Can you shut it down with the power on switch on the front of the tower by holding it down for 6 sec or so, or do you have to use the switch on the back of the psu?
    Yes, the fans are spinning. Yes, it sounds like the hard drive is spinning. Yes I can shut it down with the power switch on the front of the tower.

I just checked and the keyboard led and mouse led do not light up. The are working as I am using them with my laptop. I disconnected everything but the primary hard drive, the memory cards, the mouse and the keyboard. I'm thinking the motherboard is toast.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Stephanie
    Last edited by stephanie2991; March 6th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.

Try resetting the CMOS.

Unplug the power cord from the computer.
    Take the cmos battery out for several minutes.
    Replace battery, power cord and try to boot.

Sounds like both cpu and motherboard are okay. Hope Leo's suggestion works -- I think it might.

Motherboard DOA

I've followed all the suggestions that were given to me, plus a few others I found in my repair books. At this time, I have no video, no audio, no USBs, no network, no mouse and no keyboard. At this time I have given up on the motherboard and I'm scrapping the parts and selling the known good parts. I was able to borrow some money to purchase a new tower. Thank you for all your help.

Thank you,
    Stephanie

I would have looked further at the video card, but you're hampered by not having enough parts to swap. For the future, since you seem to have both the interest and the capability to deal with these sorts of issues, get hold of an old Pentium tower someone is tossing out, and get an old PCI slot video card from it. They will still provide you with video in a current motherboard and are useful as a backstop for diagnosis.

The funny thing is that I actually have an AGP card, I just haven't had the extra funds to get a PCI card. I had dual monitors on my old computer, but have been unable to get the new PCI card for this system. I believe the new system I was able to order supports dual monitors as well, so I don't know if I'll have a need for a PCI card.
    Most of my training is actually in Web Design, I just took some repair and maintenence classes for my degree. It's really just something I do for fun and family. Most of my computer funds go into design software and programming books.

Thanks though.

Shouldn't have to buy a PCI video card. The old 1Mb to 4Mb ones out of early Pentiums (eg. P75 to P200) get thrown out with the tower.

As long as a motherboard still has a regular PCI slot, they should still work to provide a display, as long as you have a monitor with a VGA connector.

If you see a 45 caliber hole through it, then its shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kotarak View Post
    If you see a 45 caliber hole through it, then its shot.
    Trying to build-up your post count?
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Yeah it's spam. I have read his other comments in other threads.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Thread Information