Non-Matching MB and Case Issues
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Non-Matching MB and Case Issues

Non-Matching MB and Case Issues

Hi, I am working for a small avionics company and my current project is putting together 4 computers to test the satellite recievers we build. The cases that were bought for this purpose are Ultra Micro Fly boxes and the motherboards purchased are Ampro Little Board 800 models. Needless to say they are not compatible! They need the LB 800s for the fact that they run a card which the equipment will be tested with but I have no easy job of trying to get my USB, audio, video, ethernet etc out of this case as the cables that came with the case have nothing to plug into on the MB.
    My real question is this; are there commercially available non-PCI USB brackets and ethernet ports? There is, on the I/O board 4 USB ports and 2 ethernet ports on the MB but I cannot find a good solution for getting these run out of this (far too small) case. The software manager here tells me that there is a way to run USB without it looking like a 5 year old put it together.

I could not get the specs on the Ampro Little board without creating an account. If it has an internal USB header, install this 4 port Hub in the Floppy slot of the motherboard. USB 2.0 HI-SPEED FRONT-BAY HUB 4-PORT- BLACK.

If all you need is to have extra usb slots available, get a cabled hub and connect it to the back.

Welcome to the Forum.

The case is micro-ATX format. What format is the motherboard? There are others beside ATX and mATX. This is mini-ITX.

Here is an image of the board. It is really small form factor.

It looks like a USB header in the Left Top coming out the side.
    Last edited by Leoslocks; March 1st, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

That's challenging. I can't figure out where memory or psu connect.

Haven't seen anything quite like it.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

here is (I think) a better picture of what the MB looks like. I appreciate all the info that you guys have given I will definately be trying that USB hub that you had suggested Leoslocks. I'm running on a tight schedule right now and I'm just trying to get these things out of my hair! I do have the local AMPRO rep coming in tomorrow to take a look at what I have so far but my deadline is wensday so hopefully I can come up with something by then.

the motherboard itself is actually about 6x8" i had to create a plate to mount it all on since there was no real compatibility with the case mounts

Keep us posted when you have the time. That is quite the nice project. The image I linked to is not the same board. My apologies.

Well, we actually managed to fabricate a connector to run the USB through the front of the case which made my life 200% easier and I was able to rig up a cat 5 cable to run from the motherboard connections to an outside coupler. It's not pretty but it does the job i need it to . Thanks for all your help guys and I'm sure there'll be more questions to come as this project moves along into the 2nd phase!

Thread Information