eSATA Host Card Problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: eSATA Host Card Problems

eSATA Host Card Problems

hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem with what I assume should be a fairly simple thing. I purchased an external eSATA hard drive and a PCIe SATA/eSATA host card. Actually I've purchased 2 host cards, since i thought the first was defective, and now the 2nd is doing the same thing. Obviously, I am having a lot of problems trying to get this setup to work.

The first host card was standard PCI. After installing, windows Vista would not recognize that any new hardware had been installed in the system. In device manager, there was no trace of the host adapter. After trying the drive install package, (just to check), it seemed to verify that the card could not be found. So i returned it and tried a different brand, and this time a PCIe card. I installed it today and its doing the exact same thing. it is not recognized at all. I have tried both PCIe slots with no luck, however with the PCIe card, the manufacturer name and card are at least visible during POST before windows loads, so I know that at least its not a problem with the mobo not recognizing it (right?).

I looked into the BIOS today, and I see a section in "Integrated Peripherals > On Chip ATA Devices > On Chip SATA Channel" I turned this Enabled this option and then set it to SATA. I have no idea if this applies, but i think it does because, when I make this change and reboot, Vista starts to load and then blue-screens and crashes. The bluescreen is very brief and unreadable, but in event viewer, I see the following.. The important part is about the IRQ. I'm pretty sure through trial and error that PCI slot 6 is the slot the esata card is installed on.

Log Name: System
    Source: ACPI
    Date: 3/4/2008 9:15:06 PM
    Event ID: 6
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Keith-WS
    Description:
    IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="ACPI" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49157">6</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-03-05T05:15:06.812Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7684</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Keith-WS</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>IRQARB</Data>
    <Data>6</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Binary>000000000400300000000000060005C00000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want this eSATA thing to work, but it seems impossible so far.

Thanks.

IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 6, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
    Is the card Vista Compliant? If so;

Take the card out, Install the SATA Drivers for the card (should be on the CD that came with the card), reinstall the card.

Perhaps install the card in a different slot.

its weird... the box says it, but their website and the stupid, one sheet, xeroxed "manual" makes no reference of vista compliance. the thumbnail images of the install process appear to be from win98 or earlier.

stupid question, if the card is not detected in device manager, how can one install the drivers for it?

ill try switching the pcie slots again and see if that helps.

Check for a SetUp program on the driver cd. Run that prior to installing the card.

ahh.. yea that would make sense. unfortunately, the cd only has the actual drivers and a setup program that will only run on windows 98 and below.

it angers me because again, the box says 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

guess thats what happens when you shop at Fry's/ you get cheap hardware with no support.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kslagerman
    guess thats what happens when you shop at Fry's/ you get cheap hardware with no support.
    I have seen the same issue with a lot of hardware and Vista.
    Not what I expected from Seagate and Linksys yet exactly the same result. Just as poorly handled at New Egg also. Products the claim on the web Vista compatability but are in fact, not qualified/certified to work in Vista.

Live and learn.

Thread Information