whats the difference between voodoo 8mb and 12mb?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: whats the difference between voodoo 8mb and 12mb?

whats the difference between voodoo 8mb and 12mb?

I heard somebody say that the 8 meg version sucks, is this true? what difference does the 4 meg make? is it worth the cash?

btw, i'm talking about the voodoo2
    sorry

The 8MB version does not suck. I've never been able to tell the difference in performance level between an 8 and 12MB. I have an 8, my brother has a 12. Maybe a benchmark could tell you there's a difference, but it's still probably slight at best.

Also, from what I've seen, there's no difference in price between the 8 and 12MB versions anymore. I haven't even seen an 8MB version in months. And if you're going to buy a 3dfx product, why not go ahead and buy the Voodoo3??? The V3-2000 is about the same price as a Voodoo2 anyway and offers about the same performance as 2 V2's in SLI.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

Thanx, i thought there wouldn't be a big difference. anyway, i can get a used one cheap, it's for a 200mmx.
    Is a v3 2000 pci really a better performer on this system? i think the difference won't be that much, since the system will slow the v3 down anyway.

The Voodoo3 probably would be too much for your system. It'd be too much for mine too (233mmx), but I'd still take one if somebody offered it to me. I certainly don't think it would slow down your system or underperform the Voodoo2 in anyway. You'd just have a lot of untapped power. Kind of like driving a Ferrari in 3rd gear. You can still go 100mph, you just won't be racing it at top speed. It probably wouldn't be that noticeable of a difference from a Voodoo2. But you may be able to run some games at a little bit higher resolution and still get decent fps.

The only reason I even mentioned the Voodoo3 is because the Voodoo2's are still relatively expensive given how old they are and that a new generation of cards is coming out. I think it's because they're the last add-on cards which is a nice option to have, especially if you like some old Glide-only games. But I was just thinking, if you're going to spend the money on a Voodoo2, why not spend $10 more and get the Voodoo3? (of course you said something about getting a used V2 for cheap which may undermine the math..hehe) If you're considering the Voodoo3, but are still concerned about whether or not it's worth it, I'd advise you to open up a new thread so you can get more input. But I certainly don't think you would go wrong with a Voodoo2 either. Whatever you decide, good luck.

[This message has been edited by Pirate (edited 05-06-99).]
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot

Thread Information