Switch from Vista to XP, HELP!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Switch from Vista to XP, HELP!

Switch from Vista to XP, HELP!

I am trying to switch from vista to xp on an acer laptop. The laptop came installed with vista & a lot of programs that do not have upgrades to vista will not work on this machine so I have to switch back.

Unfortunately I just put in the XP disc without backing up any drivers, etc & now a lot of the drivers do not work, as well as only half of the hard drive is visible. Currently only 60 gb show up in the C:, but the hard drive in total is 120 gb.

How can I go back to XP with all of my drivers & the full capacity of the hard drive working? This has been a nightmare the past few weeks & I have not been able to use that machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

acer is not very good with support for returning to older o/s. i helped a guy roll back his new acer vista lappy to xp and it took a bit of work. acer have winxp drivers for the newer lappy but is not very forthcoming with providing the support for going back to winxp. most of the lappy sold by acer are also sold with winxp overseas so the drivers are available with a bit of work.

do a search for your model lappy and winxp. this should get you links to sites with acer xp drivers. the tricky parts is to sort through all the drivers and find one that fits your hardwares. the trick is to look at models that are similar in specification to the lappy you have.

Perfect, thanks for the input. looks like I did that part correctly then because I did that about a month ago & everything seems ok so far. I could not find the wireless card driver which sucks, but everything else seems to be found.

The big problem I have been having is why is only half the size of the hard drive accessible?
    Mike

May be a proprietory partition containing data required for system recovery.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information