Advise needed on laptop purchase choice
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Advise needed on laptop purchase choice

Advise needed on laptop purchase choice

Greetings. Don't know if this post is acceptable to this particular forum. If not, my apologies and the moderator may remove this, or post it where it should have gone!
    _______

I am buying a laptop for my wife, who will use it for internet access, some photo viewing (not editing), and possibly streaming movies from netflix from time to time. Also, basic word processing. She is not a power user.

Choices: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 vs HP Pavilion dv6748us. Stuck on which laptop to get, as both are fairly comperable in specs. There is a real price difference, too.

DETAILS OF THE TWO SYSTEMS:

($529.99) Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 (Pentium Dual-Core T2330, 1.6 GHz, 2GB PC2-5300/667,Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (up to 256MB), 250GB SATA (5400 rpm), Dual Layer CD/DVD Recordable, 15.4" widescreen WXGA VibrantView

($699.99) HP Pavilion dv6748us (2.0 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-60, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M, 250GB SATA (5400 rpm), LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support, 15.4" HD Brightview.

Both have built-in webcam, 3 USB 2.0, card reader, etc. So, both are pretty close to each other (yeah, I know the Intel may be the better processor).

However, what about:
    QUALITY, SUPPORT, USABILITY? Are there enough differences to choose the HP over the Lenovo, or do I just buy the cheaper item?

Thanks for all of your responses!
    George

What operating system will the laptop use? I suspect Vista on the Intel graphics would eat a lot of resources. I am unfamiliar with the nVida specs for graphics.

The software bundle may influence the value of the package also.

Both come with Vista Home Premium, MS Works and other stuff that is largely secondary to us. Of course, both have 2GB RAM, so they can at least load and run Vista!

I don't know about warranties on these machines, but they count. Get the best you can, because laptops are virtually impossible for most people to work on, realistically. Some credit cards will offer a free buyers assurance perk, just for using the card, and it may double the manufacturer's warranty-Amex does, or used to, for instance. Worth asking your card company about.

basic word processing
    I type a lot, and I have come to prefer a trackpoint. Some HP/Compaq have a button to shut off the trackpad. Trackpads and typing don't mix for me -- I brush the pad, highlight a bunch of text, and the next keystroke erases it. I can use Undo, but not having to is faster.

I've also come to use keyboard shortcuts a lot while browsing, and placement of the Home, End, Page up, etc. makes a difference in speed and convenience.

The little things can add up.

Keep in mind that although listed with 2 GB of memory,
    The integrated Intel video chip will gobble up memory.
    So, realistically, you actually have a bit less than 2 GB.

I suspect that the nVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M is integrated as well.

I have encountered HP after sales service about three months ago,
    And found them alot better than those from Dell.
    But
    Considering how bad Dell's service was,
    Just about any other would likely be better.

If Vista is not a requirement,
    Last time I checked,
    HP has an entire line of business notebooks with Windows XP available as well.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

And as jimbo could tell you, HP's business NX-xxxx series has a 3-year manufacturer warranty available.

Thread Information