Q6600 Hi -temp CPU Problem!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q6600 Hi -temp CPU Problem!

Exclamation Q6600 Hi -temp CPU Problem!

HI!
    I have never tried to remove and clean CPU's in the past,I'm afraid I might screw something up..the Boxed CPU fan ststed that it could be seated in any direction,,I'll re-read directions.

I Just bought and assembled:

Intel CoreDuo2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4)
    Nvidia 8600GT 512MB / DDR2 GPU (Pci-ex16)
    CM 690 Coolermaster Mid ATX Chassis (Case)
    WINXP (Service Pack2)
    Three120mm case fans (I think they are only connected to the PSU)
    1) Raptor WD SataII 74 GB for apps and OS Hard drive
    2) Western Digital Sata II 500 GB Internal hard Drive for Storage

OK.
    Now after putting everything together and it seemingly is working well, does anyone have any idea what the average Intel Core Duo2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4CPU Temperature should be running at? I have a MSI (Microstar P-35 Platinum Mobo) that came with DualCoreCenter Utility to monitor temp, system temps and
    settings in the Bios.

I went to the BIOS and noticed that the CPU Temp was running at 61 c / 141 f ! That sounds pretty high to me, but i don't know what would be the safe temp. The System Temp was 29 degrees / 84 f.

The Fan speed was 1775 RPMS. Which one? It did not say,but I do have a front case 120mm,and a rear 120mm fan, and a 120mm side case fan, and they are working.

In Bios, the System Fan #3 and #4 is Disabled. Could that be that my friend hooked up the Fans directly to the Power supply and not split them to the mainboard?

Is there website on Normal operating temperatures for the INTEL Processors?

If anyone has the MSI P-35 Platinum Mainboard, and has installed the DuoCoreCenter utility, How do you change the temp settings for the Fans and the CPU? I've seen the DOT Ultily to change the settings,but I did not see it on the Driver/utility CD.

Thanks again!

Q6600 seems to be Very Hot! What are the normal CPU operating temperatures?

I downloaded CORETEMP (v0.96) software to see what B gwan'on, and it shows that all four Cores are listed,
    frequency is 2402.43 MHZ,
    Platform is LGA 775,
    VID is 1.2375v
    and the following temps:

Tj.Max - 212 F
    Core# O 140 F
    CORE #1 138 F
    CORE #2 124 F
    CORE #3 124 F

THIS WAS A BRAND NEW HEAT SINK FAN FROM INTEL THAT CAME WITH THE Q6600. Maybe it's the problem and not the seating of the fan itself.
    Thabks to all for any help with this issue.

Your temps are too high. Did you use thermal paste or a thermal pad? If you did not, you need to.

Make sure that the thermal paste is correctly applied and that your heat sink is making good contact.

The heat sinks that come with the retail box are usually okay. I doubt that is the issue.

Ditto to double checking your HSF installation.
    Unfortunately,
    That means you will have to clean off the existing thermal pad
    and
    Applying a new layer of thermal compound.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The push down pin method of securing the Heat Sink is sometimes difficult to do.

You may just try pushing the pins down starting at one corner and working around the heat sink. I was unable to mount the supplied heat sink properly without taking the motherboard out of the case.

Do you remember removing the protective backing on the heatsink and the thermal paste?
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

It was a new Boxed CPU,and the HSF had three thermal strips on the bottom. I'm in the market for a new CPU HSF. I've both sides of the coin on that issue..better safe than sorry. I'll try pushing down the HSF,OR someone mentioned that both the CPU and the HSF might be not seated...Would I be able to use the computer at all if this was the case? Arctic Silver MX-2 or the other Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and Alchohol or acetone to clean off the contacts? Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bozobytes
    ... I'm in the market for a new CPU HSF...
    Number of suggestions available at SPCR.
    Due to the passive cooling system, better double check with the heatsink manufacturers' webpage for compatibility prior to purchase.

... I'll try pushing down the HSF,OR someone mentioned that both the CPU and the HSF might be not seated...Would I be able to use the computer at all if this was the case?...
    Possible.

... and Alchohol or acetone to clean off the contacts? ...
    For cleaning, ArctiClean and/or Isopropyl alcohol should be fine.
    If using ArctiClean, just let it sit for a few seconds for it to breakdown the old thermal compound first.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks

Someone mentioned Alchol 90%...All I have is 50%. Before I remove all this,would the 50% do the job?
    All I can see in the INTEL CPU book is that you spring load the Heatsink then push down on #1 leg,#3,#2,then #4, then turn the leg pin 90 degree clockwise to lock...sounds right?

Your local drugstore should sell isopropanol alcohol, which can contain about 95% isopropyl alcohol.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Intel Video goes Pins 1, 4, 3, 2 or counter clockwise around the HS.

The line on the push Pin should be pointing straight out from the center of the HS.

Do not turn the pin after it clicks.

Q6600 Hi temp

I have an issue with the stock fan that comes with the Q6600, it's the same issue others are having, seating the fan properly. The last pin will not turn all the way because it hits the fins on the fan. If i'm going to take this fan off and try to re-seat it i should just get a new fan. I am looking for a fan that is EASY to install and will fit my motherboard. I'm not too worried about noise.
    I don't overclock.

Abit IP35PRO Bios14 FSB1333 Socket LGA775
    Diamond Radeon 2400 256 DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quad Intel@64 Q6600
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400 4x1gb
    Maxtor 160gb SATA HD
    Thermaltake 480watt ps

Quote Originally Posted by Urangotan
    ... I am looking for a fan that is EASY to install ...
    You have a choice of using the default clamping method as your existing stock HSF, stock and/or third party HSF,
    and/or
    Using a third party HSF that will typically utilize a bolt through method.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Q6600 Hsf

When looking for a HSF will the information let me know how it is mounted to the mb, also how will i know if it will fit in a standard mid-tower case?

Thanks Urang

Any decent HSF manufacturer should provide installation, details and/or manual download from their website.

In terms of fitting inside a chassis,
    All third party will adhere to making sure that it fits' inside a standard ATX form factor chassis.
    If chassis is microATX,
    That is another matter.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I too had some anxiety issues will mounting the heatsink the first couple of times. On the last removal/clean/remount, it went too smooth.

The line on the push pin points from the center of the cpu out.
    Align the 4 plastic plugs to the holes in the motherboard.
    Gently push on the chrome arm just above the plastic plug. The plug will seat in the motherboard hole. Circle the heatsink 'Seating' the plug.
    Now it just takes the smoothest effort to Push the Pin down till it 'snaps'.
    Circle the heatsink 'Snapping' the pins down.

One Q6600 is running 24 x 7 F@H SMP client. 100% cpu usage. One core gets up to 53 C, the other 3 hover around 47 to 49C with the stock Intel heatsink.
    Last edited by Leoslocks; February 2nd, 2008 at 11:15 PM.

Thread Information