Power Cycling while turned off - power supply?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Cycling while turned off - power supply?

Power Cycling while turned off - power supply?

My computer lately has been cycling power after its been turned off. This can happen anywhere from seconds after its been shutdown to 5 hours later. I can tell it will cycle power because the front led fan lights up and spins, the back led will light up an the rom drives will also temporary light up. Further, if my speakers are on I can hear them pulsating power. (it all pulsate's when cycling the power).

Does this strike you as a power supply going bad? And if so, what semi-affordable PSU's would you reccommend? If you would like to know my current PSU I can supply that, just have to open the case. As for power requirements, my computer is a selb-built unit that is 2.5 years of age. I don't see myself building another for a bit so I don't need anything that will run a lot of juice.

Could be a Wake On Lan setting.

Check the network adapters as well as Bios settings. Anything new added to the computer in the past few months? Software or Hardware?

Yes It could be any sort of "wake on...." setting".

Personally, I have never heard of a PS powering its self on so, it's most likely some external source (like a MOBO) causing it.

This is a rather long shot suggestion, but if you had a power on or reset switch (these are momentary contact normally open switches) that was not staying open, perhaps it could trigger the machine to restart. See if either seems sticky. Unplugging them from the motherboard and using a different one for a while could eliminate this as a possible problem.

I checked the BIOS for any type of "wake on..." setting and didn't find anything that was enabled. Since I have bought a new surge protector and initially that seemed to still produce the problem, but I haven't noticed it in a few days except for one specific time...wife was washing cloths and the moment the dryer turned OFF it started it's power cycling. This could have been 1/100k coincidence but it seems fishy. We've already had the breaker malfunction (needed a new breaker) on the dryer socket. Could be bad wiring in the house.

Thinking I might take back the surge protector and by a PSU. But isn't the surge protector supposed to help against power surges? Its not a cheap one but it wasn't expensive either @ $20.

About the power switch. One thing I had to do with the case was disable the front audio by actually clipping the wires. The original front audio started to malfunction and I found out later that the motherboard flows through the front panel before going to the back. Meaning if the front was bombed so was all outward audio ports. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

That whole side of the apt is rather weird. If you stand in front of the computer with a phone the phone drops connection (2 different models of phones 1-2.4Ghz and 1-5.8Ghz and our cellphones) and the g-wireless is set to channel 11. I've had static before when a microwave was going, but never cordless phones and a router.

Try connecting the power cord to the outlet. I remember hearing where some system had issues with surge protectors. Hook it up this way just before the dryer goes off.

It may be the house current causing the problem.

Thread Information