Internal Card Reader Installation Problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Internal Card Reader Installation Problem

Internal Card Reader Installation Problem

I just built a new computer for my daughter (first time build for both of us).

I purchased a Koutech IO-RCM620 USB 2.0 3.5"/5.25" Card Reader with an internal connector and I used an ASUS M2N-MX SE AM2 NVIDIA GeForce6100 / nForce430 uATX AMD Motherboard. the case I used has a front USB/Audio hookup, so I used the hookup for that outlined in the manual.

There are two other USB 2.0 hookups (I think).

I have tried both of those avaiable USB hookups. They are both 10-1 pin connectors - one is USB56, the other is USB78. BOth are USB 2.0. The female plug on the internal card reader matches the male plugs on the Mobo.

When I try to install the drivers, it says to plug in the card reader, which I have already done. It says it does not see the card reader and shuts down. The card reader isnot visible in BIOS or in windows device manager. I am running windows xp.

Long story short -- anyone got a clue as to whether these are the correct pins to hook up to on the mobo? If so, i either have a vista compatibility issue or a dead card reader.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks. I also have a question about slave master jumper settings on an old CDRW device I want to use -- but I will wait for this question to get answered first.

Have you looked in the BIOS for the motherboard to make sure that your USB is all enabled? And have you loaded up the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763
    Have you looked in the BIOS for the motherboard to make sure that your USB is all enabled? And have you loaded up the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard?
    I will check both, but I did the ASUS auto update utility, so I assume that the chipset was updated to latest. I also checked that the USB was enabled on bios, but I will check again cause i did not after chipset update.

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    ... but I did the ASUS auto update utility, so I assume that the chipset was updated to latest...

? BIOS update and chipset drivers are two different items.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I will check when I get home tonight and post back here as to what I find. However, are the two USB headers the proper place to hook up the card reader USB connector?

Yes, that is correct.
    You can refer to pages 1-7 and 1-28 and for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    ... ASUS M2N-MX SE AM2 NVIDIA GeForce6100 / nForce430 uATX AMD Motherboard...
    The most recent drivers for the GeForce 6100/nForce 430 chipset listed at ASUS is version: 65.3.3.
    That is dated: 2007/05/09
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

No luck on the chip set. Updated it and still no go on internal card reader. I also checked setup in bios and USB is on, including legacy and 2.0. It should work, but it is not -- must be doa card reader.

Thread Information