Dead video card?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Dead video card?

Dead video card?

Hi guys,

OK gotta bit of a prob here. Very frustrating.

My system is quite old, so this was expected. The fan on my Asus v9280 went south the other day, so my computer has been out of action for a while now, finally got around to replacing the vid card with a Powercolor X800 a friend kindly donated. It worked like a dream for all of about an hour.

What happened was I took the Asus out, put in the Powercolor. Went into XP via safe mode, removed all existing drivers, then rebooted into XP normally, letting windows find drivers automatically over the Internet. Working great so far.

Drivers found, installed, reboot.

Loaded up Counter-Strike: Source and ran the video stress test. Excellent! Frame rates have more than doubled, even with all settings maxed out.

Then...

About an hour later, was burning a CD. Suddenly the OSD shows 'No Signal Detected' and the monitor (BenQ FP222W) goes into sleep mode. Notice that CD was still burning, wasnt sure if it was the computer had hung, or the monitor just lost connection. Wait about 10 minutes and decided the system had hung, pressed hard reset key. Nothing.

Help down the I/O button and powered down. Then when I went to power it back up again, nothing.

Tried all the usual, reseating vid card, unplug power for a minute. Nothing.

Took the video card out, and magic, it booted up. Went into windows. I heard my welcome tone and was able to shut down the computer by pressing *windows key > up > 'u' > enter*

So I m assuming the Powercolor X800 was stopping my PC from even booting up. Weird? I put in the old Asus v9280 in, and booted up first go. Quickly shut down as HSF isnt working.

So... Any ideas? I m guessing its a bad vid card, but why would it break after 1 hour of use? Is it just pure coincidence? Or is there something I m completely missing here? BIOS settings? When the Powercolor is in, computer wont boot at all. Without a video card, or with the old Asus, it will run no worries. Motherboard is Asus P4P800E-Deluxe.

Any thoughts? Thanks

OMG gotta go to bed, work tomorrow. DAMMIT!

Quickly shut down as HSF isnt working.
    Which fan are you talking about? If you meant the X800 heatsink, then it's possible you burned out the card. Those models didn't have thermal threshold like the nvidias.

I just think it's a bad card.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

If it doesnt run in another motherboard then the card's likely toast.
    See if your friend knows anything about the warranties, and if it's been voided or not. At least I've always had a good tendency to void a video cards warranty
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

I quickly shut down because the HSF on the Asus v9280 wasnt working...

So basically the computer would boot up with the old vid card, or no vid card at all.

But...

I decided to give the X800 another go when I got home today, before I plugged it in I pulled out the fan connector that was on the vid card, and plugged it back in firmly. I dont know if this was what did it, but it fired up all sweet, and everything is working sweet now, it's been less than 10 minutes since I plugged in the card so I m not holding my breath, but so far so good.

So... I guess it was the fan connector that was loose?

Anyway, I ll see what happens in the next few days, if this card even lasts that long.

Cheers guys.

Lets hope it does last that long!
    It might of been some wacko safety precaution on the card. Hardware is always really odd to work with.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

OK, so yesterday straight after I posted my last post, I shut down the computer to put the side panel back onto my case, plugged everything back in. Power up. No screen.

WHAT THE?! (Getting really annoyed now...)

Open case back up. Jiggled the card around abit, power on. OK, screen.

Put the side panel back on WITHOUT turning the power off...

Left the computer on all night, woke up in the morning, moved my mouse, and voila. Screen turned on.

Shut down the computer, went to work. Came home, turned computer back on. Screen, OK. So as long as I dont move the computer, it should be OK. LOL. This is a hassle...

My experiences with computer parts is usually, they work, or they dont. I hate this gray area thing. Come on. BLACK OR WHITE!!

Thread Information