What's this little partition here for?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What's this little partition here for?

What's this little partition here for?

Just got a new Toshiba A205-7458. Beside the main partition on the harddisk there is this dinky hidden partition (iirc it's about 1.64GB). It's not the recovery utilities since this model Toshiba comes with a recovery disk for applictions and Vista.

Anyone know what the parititon if for and can I just remove it?

tia

It probably has Diagnostic apps on it...Might look in the manual
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Thanks but I'v been there, done that. manual is absoutely no help in this regard. The manual is written for models that do and don't have recovery CDs and those that do those that don't have recovedry partitions. So there's no way to know which you have -- excpet that this model comes with recovery disks for apps and such. The utility tools are already on the disk in the main partition. Toshiba Tech Support had absolutely no idea what the partition is for -- in the tech support I got onthe phone insisted the partition wasn't there because this model has a recovery cd. A recovery partition, form which one might burn CDs fro recovery disks or reimage a drive is usually 6GB or more -- this is a relatively dinky partition -- less than 2GB.

My suspicion is that this is essentially a cabinet for Vista -- although there is a CD for restoring Vista, one CD seems small so maybe this hidden partition contains the rest of Vista -- partition doesn't seem big enough for much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    It probably has Diagnostic apps on it...Might look in the manual

sounds like it is the media player partition. HP has "quickplay", so Toshiba probably has the same thing.

"Quickplay" That would be HP's knock-off of Apple's Quicktime?

Whatever it is on the Toshiba, you'd think Toshiba would mention it in the manual somewhere. I've had PCs from the factory where there was unallocated space for no good reason -- maybe this is just one of those kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    sounds like it is the media player partition. HP has "quickplay", so Toshiba probably has the same thing.

Quickplay allows you to play dvds, cd, etc. without booting into windows. basically, it makes your laptop into a portable dvd player.

if your laptop has a similar feature, then the extra partition is for that.

Thanks. Ah kind of a dual boot set up -- Presumably there will be some instruction somewhere in the manual or in the programs about how to do this, if that's what the partition for.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Quickplay allows you to play dvds, cd, etc. without booting into windows. basically, it makes your laptop into a portable dvd player.

if your laptop has a similar feature, then the extra partition is for that.

Well, it appears that virtually all of the partition istaken up with a file called boot.wim. That must mean something.

My understanding is that in the world of vista, boot.wim is the windows vista image file to go on a CD to make it bootable, that is a vistaPE 2.0 disk. What it doing on the Hdisk, I'm not sure -- possibly the recovery disks use this file to boot into a version of windows so that it can install applications, etc ??? wild guessing here.

yes boot.wim is the basic vista build snapshot file. i'd guess it is there to help make restores faster. doing a full restore from dvds would be slower than having a wim file on the hd.

Thanks. That makes sense. But it also means, if I replace the harddrive, I'm out of luck for software. Ah well. I'll regularly make backup images of the drive with Acronis True Image-- better recovery than using recovery(reinstall) disks anyway.

thanks again,

Thread Information