[RESOLVED] Networking Losing Connection
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Networking Losing Connection

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Networking Losing Connection

We're running a small networking of five pcs at our library. Some of those PCs seem to be losing connection to the network sporadically. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for our Ethernet (VIA Rhine II, Realtek RTL8139) which fixes the problem temporarily. Only around two of a total of five pcs has held on to the connection since fixing it. The others will be okay for a few days then lose it again.

I'm using Windows XP, SP 2 with a Linksys Wireless G Router and we're behind a Sonicwall. The Windows Firewall is disabled. In addition to the uninstalling, I've also tried updating the drivers which didn't work. I had one cut out today with the 2007 driver on it.

Could this be a bad hub? Any certain way to tell? Some of the time it's fine which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes the NIC's will lose their connection if they go to sleep, or if the computer does. Is that possible with yours? Check the power settings on the NIC's to make sure they are not set to power down.

I am not familiar with Sonicwall-but is it possible to set the other machines as "trusted" sites?

i'm pretty sure all these are embeded ethernet adaptors. can they be set to sleep as well? how would i check this setting?

Go to Device Manager and right click the device-go to Properties. There should be a setting for power management.

did you update the router firmware? could you provide specific model numbers?

is the sonicwall a router as well as a firewall?

ah, found the power setting. it was set to sleep.

today the printer stopped working on one when the net connection got lost. i didn't have any doubt that it was network issue though ... the internet worked on others.

i'll get the model number. and we use sonicwall specifically for the firewall, not routing.

Is the printer connected to the router? If it is, that might point more to the router. Do take a look at the firmware, as per Midknyte's suggestion.

the printer is on the router. i'll check out the firmware.

When I un-checked the box the connection wasn't automatically re-established. I went into the device manager and uninstalled/reinstalled again. After that, I un-checked the box again ... it was selecting it by default. The connection is now active.

Should the connection have awoken immediately following un-checking the box?

Probably not. If you had lost the connection you may have needed to restart to re-establish your IP addresses.

wow, you guys are fast.

i believe i restarted the pc but it still didn't have connection. but after the reinstall it worked fine. if this doesn't work then perhaps it is the hub.

i've never really messed with router firmware before. could you all give me tips on how to update it or check it?

i have a linksys WRT54GS with speed boost. my version number is 6. should i upgrade? i see firmware for july of 07 which i know we didn't get.
    Last edited by wtjohnson; January 23rd, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

another thing i noticed. all the ones that have lost connection either have a Realtek 8139 or VIA RHINE II adapter. The one computer on the public network that has yet to lose its connection has another card brand.

Could it perhaps be a flaw with those type of cards? Or a setting. The one that held it's connection had the power saving connection enabled.

sounds like a router issue... update the router firmware as mentioned above ... there should be step by step instructions from linksys when u download the firmware

also... what kinda modem is being used (cable/dsl/fios)??? probably not the issue if half the computers are working...but it's still possible.

The Linksys router firmware upgrade is as simple as logging in to the router and starting the Update Firmware tool. Point it to the downloaded firmware file and wait till it is finished.

hey guys,

haven't gotten to try these tips yet. i've been battling a stomach bug the past couple days. today, i'm at our other location. will let you know if it works.

Thread Information