Asus Eee Pc
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Asus Eee Pc

Asus Eee Pc

Anybody got one yet? I need a small laptop to send to someone overseas and this will likely fit the bill. The only thing is I want to keep it cheap. The $300 ones do not include a web camera, which she needs, but she has a cheap USB one. The only problem is these things have Linux installed and I am not too sure if this thing could detect her web camera. Also she uses Yahoo IM for chatting to friends and family... and me, but do not know if Linux can run Yahoo IM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well, I wonder about them at this point. They aren't really worth $300, IMO, as the screen is just too small to be workable. Eventually, they will ship with a full 10" screen instead of the boxed down 7" job. Overall, the thing is just too short on features for the price--low storage, small screen res, and no optical drive--the thing really is only worth $200.

Around here, you can go to a pawn shop or a small computer store and get a really nice laptop for $350. While they aren't new, I've seen some dual cores and Pentium Ms for very good prices. I'd probably own one of them now, but I've got a wedding to pay for!
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

For the average user, a windows based laptop would be a much better choice, the Eee Pc is making it's progress, but I'd never use it.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

nobody is aware these can run windows xp? at least i have always thought they could... ive seen pics everywhere...

A used 12.1" P3 Thin & Light is a better idea for the money. Reliability in the hands of an inexperienced user would be the weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    nobody is aware these can run windows xp? at least i have always thought they could... ive seen pics everywhere...
    Yeah, you can do it, as long as you can figure out a way to get to the installation files, as the Eee has no optical drive. It's not impossible, but it's not as simple as your average notebook. Also, the base Eee has only 2GB of storage, so an XP install can quickly consume your entire drive. Again, not the end of the world thanks to some work arounds, but it's yet another challenge that ordinary notebooks don't face.

Like I said, if the Eee was a $200 notebook, or if it had a 10" screen and bigger HDD, it would be more worthy of my consideration, but that's just me.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I agree with ToTT, I don't think that it'd really be worth it. Any way you can scrape together a little more and buy a standard laptop? Office Depot has one on sale for $450 after rebates.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Yes I think to buy a standard laptop is better, right now the price for the laptops are quite nice.

Thread Information