How do I clean a power supply?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do I clean a power supply?

Hybrid View

How do I clean a power supply?

I have come into possession of a power supply that smells of cigarette smoke, etc. from the previous owner. I have cleaned it out with compressed air and I have wiped off what residue I could get to. That helped, but not enough. Anything more radical that you might suggest?

Other than opening it up or soaking it in hot water not really.

If you do soak it make sure you let it dry for a few days.

Neither is recommended though.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I've done exactly that, washed them with soap and water and a scrub brush (dishwashing, angled head, long bristles), rinsed thoroughly under the tap. As suggested, dry thoroughly for a few days.
    Done with the cover off, of course.

I knew you had done that with PCI cards and keyboards. Didn't know about PSU's.

Certainly have nothing to lose. The odor is pretty bad. I have been in the case-a lot of the things in there are pluggable-both fans, a couple of circuit boards. I ought to be able to remove some of that sort of stuff and concentrate on what I can't move.

I never unplugged anything, just washed them as is. I've often removed the fan, but left it connected, to wash it with a toothbrush.

A liberal spray of residue free contact cleaner with a brush ought to do the trick.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Thread Information