Will my old case and power supply work?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Will my old case and power supply work?

Will my old case and power supply work?

I am a first time computer builder and I am upgrading my 5 year old Dell Dimension 8200. I have to replace the motherboard because it is supports AGP video cards and expensive/obsolete RDRAM. I am trying to figure out if a Gigabyte P35 motherboard will fit inside this case.

These are the old components I hope to carry over to the new motherboard:
    1) CDRW drive and a DVD drive
    2) Power source (not sure what model it is or how much power it's rated for but when I opened up the case I couldn't find any meaningful labeling)
    3) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard (does the P35 have good integrated sound?)
    4) 3.5" floppy drive
    5) CPU cooling fan
    6) USB 2.0 Card (does P35 have integrated USB?)

I am assuming I won't have to carry over my ethernet card since the motherboard has integrated ethernet.

Here are the new components I will add if it will help figure out how much power I need:
    1) Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 Ghz processor
    1) A single graphics card, not SLI or crossfire (for now probably a Radeon HD 2600 Pro)
    2) 2 GB or 4 GB of DDR2 800 (6400) RAM
    3) Seagate Barracuda 500 GB hard drive

Here is a picture of the computer case:
    Last edited by Cappy333; January 8th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.

For power supply calculation,
    Following can be used for reference,
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Leave that computer together and start fresh.

Your psu will lack power and new connectors, for the video card and Sata drives.
    The case will likely have a couple of large front panel multi-connectors that won't fit a non-oem motherboard.
    A new dvd burner is only about $30Cdn.
    The motherboard will have 8 or more USB 2.0 outputs and multi-channel onboard sound of decent quality. But that sound card might be the one component worth moving, if it has less distortion and a better digital to analog convertor.
    Nobody uses floppies any more, except dinosaurs like me. Burn the Ultimate Boot CD and you won't need the floppy.

Your build will be easier, the end result better, and the current computer will still be useful, as a backup or for parents or kids.

Thanks for the advice. That's a big issue if the old motherboard won't support SATA and the new motherboard won't fit in the old case. I removed my cpu fan and saw that the PSU is only rated for 250 W. This will be inadequate especially if I get a beefy video card in the future.

I will buy a DVDR drive, case, CPU cooler, and 450W PSU. This should add about $200 to my build, bringing the new total to $800.

Get a good psu, rather than a generic. Look for one with 80+ certification. It means 80% or more efficiency. That means less power is turned into waste heat, which would have to be exhausted by higher fan speeds.

There are scads of links to good psu articles and reliable test reports in the psu link in my sig. Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax are good examples. I found a good Seasonic oem of about 500 watts for about $75 at newegg for another member recently. It was the best I could find there for that money.

Thread Information