[RESOLVED] E2160 cpu & Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L overclocking questions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] E2160 cpu & Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L overclocking questions

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] E2160 cpu & Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L overclocking questions

Hello, I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and cpu and even to do a little overclocking. I have chosen the following parts:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Dual Core retail

Hello, I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and cpu and even to do a little overclocking. I have chosen the following parts:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Dual Core retail

But I have a few questions, should I add a fan to the northbridge chip to help it keep cool as some people say it can get quite hot even without overclocking. And if so, what size fan for the northbridge chip. Also would the stock intel cooler be sufficient cooling since I am hoping to be able to overclock it to 3.0 GHz.

One more question regarding installing the motherboard, should I use non conducting washers between the screws or is it ok to just use the metal screws that came with my Ultra atx computer case to install the motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help as this will be my first computer upgrade and overclock attempt.

If cautious/uncomfortable,
    Using non-conductive washers should not affect system.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Some people say the that's is ok for the motherboard to make contact with the metal screws as this helps ground the motherboard, some say this will cause an electrical short and fry your board.

So I'm still not sure which way to go.

I had trouble many years ago (Pentium 150) when I dropped out an insulating washer from under the motherboard. I've never had a problem insulating both above and below. I use pvc electrical tape under the board -- easier to install and the insulating washers are too hard to find.

The board will be grounded through the psu connector and through the connector surround at the back.
    Too many grounds leads to ground loops.

Thanks DanceMan, I think I will insulate just to be on the safe side, and that electrical tape is a pretty good idea as you don't have to worry about a washer falling off and causing a short circuit. Just one thing less to worry about.
    Last edited by silverarrow; November 19th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

How to Install a Motherboard Tutorial - by Gabriel Torres

I found a great article from this website that explains installing a motherboard and with great details. It's perfect for those that are building for the first time.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/145/1

The article answers my question regarding whether to insulate or not, plus a few others questions.

E2160 temps

Well this is an update, I finally got my new motherboard and cpu installed. I removed the thermal goop on the stock Intel cooler and replaced it with Arctic silver Céramique, also it’s running at stock voltage and room temp is about 24 degrees, but I’m concerned about the temps. My cpu is the new M0 stepping.
    With stock cooler and stock speed ,It’s 33 degrees idle and 52 degrees under load running prime 95 on both cores.
    After overclocking to 8x333= 2.66ghz the load temp shot up to 64 degrees, but as soon as I stop prime the temps rapidly falls to 34 degrees. I tried 9x333 = 3.00ghz and the temps went up to 66 degrees while prime 95 was running but returned to 34 degrees after a 1 minute when I stop prime.

Some people experiencing similar temps think this is poor internal heat spreader contact.

Is this normal for my cpu? And should I invest in an artic cooler freezer pro cooler?
    I would like to be able to run my rig at 3 ghz (9x333) but I don’t want to risk damaging my cpu.
    Last edited by silverarrow; January 4th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

The stock cooler is meant for the default clock speed, NOT overclocking.

I'm not surprised by your temps at all. Remember you are already at a 66% overclock.

I've never used an Arctic cooler freezer pro. Thermalright, Scythe, and Zalman are more popular coolers. It depends on your budget.

SPCR has good HSF tests. Link in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by silverarrow
    ... should I invest in an artic cooler freezer pro cooler? ...
    Ditto to referencing SPCR.
    Personal preference, Thermalright brand.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Intel cpu coolers

I think I will look into getting a better cooler. Does Intel supply a better cooler with the e4xxx and e6xxx series of cpus? Or are those coolers cheapo units too?

... Does Intel supply a better cooler with the e4xxx and e6xxx series of cpus? ...
    No.

... Or are those coolers cheapo units too?
    Yes.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information