8800GTX single or dual for dell 30" monitor?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 8800GTX single or dual for dell 30" monitor?

8800GTX single or dual for dell 30" monitor?

I just bought a Dell 30" HC monitor and am wondering if a single 8800 GTX superclocked would run games like Crysis at max monitor (native) resolution? Would I need two of these cards (SLI) to run high end games optimally?

Don't think ANY card will run Crysis maxed out well at 2560 x 1600, even in SLi. Reports of Frame rates in the Low 20's at 1920x1200 aren't good.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Anandtech Article

Looks like Crysis does not scale well even with 3 way SLI. The best way I think is to wait for the next generation of video cards to come out. It would be interesting to see how AMD's upcoming CrossfireX platform and Nvidia next generation of cards will perform for games like Crysis.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Asus will have a 1GB 8800GT out by the end of this month or early next year. That would be a better investment than a 8800GTX. It should be less or about the same price, but overall may end up faster due to the higher memory amount.

As for the triple SLI benchmarks, if I recall, all of those benchmarks floating around were using a driver earlier than v169.21. I saw a decent performance increase in Crysis (on a single 8800GT) with these drivers and they also fix triple SLI issues. My guess is that nVidia will be able to optimize even more for Crysis over time.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

What would GDDR5's 20GBytes/ second do for Graphic Cards?

Due early next year EE Times Article

wrathchild_67, no arguments there. There will always be fixes, patches and driver updates. That is one of the reason that I have always chosen Nvidia.

If there is some truth in the rumor at Fudzilla.com that the 8800 Ultra/GTX, 640MB GTS/320MB GTS are receiving the EOL tag by January, it would be wise to wait for the next gen of cards. I find it strange though since the newer G92 cards do not support Tri-SLI.

What video card is Nvidia going to market to the enthusiasts for their 780i motherboards next year? In stock specs the 8800 Ultra is still the fastest card out there.

Hopefully, guru3d will come out with a more detailed review and benchmarks as mentioned at the end of the article here. Perhaps after the official patch for Crysis is released.

It would be easier to make a decision as to which card or cards to buy to take advantage of the 30" screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks
    What would GDDR5's 20GBytes/ second do for Graphic Cards?
    Hence the word interesting, Leoslocks.
    I'm guessing that GDDR5 cards will be available by the 2nd or 3rd Quarter of 2008.

A die shrink based on a revised R6XX chipset with its 512bit bus width + GDDR5 could give Nvidia a stiff competition. If they can pull their socks up, together with AMD CrossfireX spider platform they could offer a competitive platform to gamers.

It is strange IMO that only ATi is offering cards with GDDR4 memory at this moment and Qimonda will skip GDDR4 and will focus on GDDR5.

This time I don't see a connection with conspiracies nor CIA/NSA black ops.
    I think it has to do with the number 4.
    In some Chinese dialects (can't remember) the number 4 is sei. The pronunciation is similar to die/death in Chinese. In other words, the number 4 is considered bad luck. Number 8 on the other hand is considered good luck since it has something to do with prosperity and wealth.

I'm predicting that:
    Nvidia will move on straight to GDDR5 for 2008. Remember the days after GeForce 4?
    The 88XX designation will remain in use for next year. (G92 = Revised 8800GT) Not surprised if they will come out with a 8888 series card. At least for the Asian market. LOL.

Only time will tell.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Thread Information