[RESOLVED] Replacing my fans.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Replacing my fans.

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Replacing my fans.

I want to replace my fans in my old system, because they sound like jets taking off.
    The only problem is that their power cords are wired directly into the molex connectors. What can i do to remove and replace them, or am i just doomed to have loud fans

Assuming that heat is not an issue (but noise is), you can undervolt those fans from 12 volts down to 7 volts-they still move a lot of air, but they are much quieter. Here is a link to a diagram that shows you how to do that.

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/7volt.html

Yes, heat is no issue to me. Its right around room temperature.
    The loudest one is the Cpu fan, this incredible tiny little thing creates the most noise...
    Ill try that, as soon as my stupid graphics card starts working

I wouldn't mess with my CPU fan. That may take a fan replacement, or a heatsink/fan replacement. The modifications are for case fans.

Huh, i stopped the cpu fan from running, and it didnt get higher that 55 C

The problem with small fans like your cpu hs fan is that they have to turn high rpms to produce enough airflow, and that makes the noise. The solution for them is to replace them with a larger, slower fan like an 80mm.

If you try that, the fan can overhang the heatsink, and it doesn't have to be centered on it. Nor does it even have to be attached to it. You can mount it in free air above the heatsink and it will cool just about as well, only a few degrees difference. Just make sure you get a fan with a connector that matches your cpu fan header so the motherboard gets the rpm sensor data. 80mm fans are commonly:
    Low speed about 1900-2000 rpm
    Medium speed about 2500 rpm
    High speed about 3000 rpm?

They usually have an L, M, or H in the model number which indicates the speed.

well, im getting that cooler master centurion case, so ill just start from there.
    Thanks for the info

I'm using that case also and really like it. I've disabled the front intake fan and it's very quiet and my temps are still hanging around 40C without it.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

using the same case and I hate the location of the USB ports...1 is dead already and I think I dmged the other one today ...who was that smart to get the usb ports at the bottom and not the top of the case
    Beside that the front removable mesh pannel is like a dust magnet I have to agree that is a good investement as long as you get it for under $20 (very common since it has rebates most of the times...I paid arround $60 18 months ago)

Thread Information