Drive links don't open when double clicked
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Drive links don't open when double clicked

Drive links don't open when double clicked

I have shortcuts on my desktop to my 3 hard drives that won't open when I double click them; I have to right click and select open. Other shortcuts don't have this problem. The same issue occurs when I try to access the hard drives from My Computer (Windows XP). What could be causing this?

bump

Mouse Settings?
    Check the double click speed for the mouse. If you move the cursor while double clicking, it may not detect the double click. Older people like me suffer from this affliction. Your situation may be entirely different.

Possible fix Here.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Mouse Settings?
    Check the double click speed for the mouse. If you move the cursor while double clicking, it may not detect the double click. Older people like me suffer from this affliction. Your situation may be entirely different.
    I can open all other icons fine, so I know it's not the mouse double-click speed.

Possible fix Here.
    I read the link and in it someone suggested to run "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" in the run box. There were no responses to his post so I am reluctant to follow his advice without knowing what the command does. Does anyone know?

It re-registers the shell32.dll file with Windows (more technically, it runs the DllInstall and DllRegisterServer routines in the file). While I wouldn't expect it to work (if shell32.dll stuff was borked I'd expect far more serious problems), it won't do any harm either. shell32.dll is a Windows system file.

More info on regsvr32 is in KB249873 if you'd like to read up on it for yourself.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks, I googled it and it appears to have worked for similar problems other people have had, but when I ran it myself it didn't do the trick. Would it matter what name I assigned the drives (i.e. "Media")? Any other ideas?

Thread Information