Brnad new flash driver producing nothing?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Brnad new flash driver producing nothing?

Brnad new flash driver producing nothing?

(WinXP Home SP2; OE 6; IE 6; Dell Dimension XPS T450MHz Pentium III; Free Version 7.5.503; spybot S&D; ad-aware; cable modem; WordPerfect8; Lexmark Laser printer "Optra E310")

Hello, I searched for this problem but didn't find any similar...

I just plugged in my newly purchased "USB Kingston Data Traveler 4GB Flash Driver" to backup my computer...but instead, I get strange messages, mostly on "how to safely unplug the hardware device", or "stop it", etc. (???)...before I even start and nothing happens!

Also, a popup msg says to use a certain name (dont' recall) because it is faster...

I thought all I had to do was plug it in and wait to see what appeared on the screen in order to follow the steps to backing up...

Would a kind soul please help me by telling me HOW to do it? Thanks ever so much! Adela

a popup msg says to use a certain name (dont' recall) because it is faster...
    You have a Pentium 3. A computer of that vintage probably has only USB 1.1, which is slower than USB 2.0. The message is likely telling you to use USB 2.0, but your hardware doesn't support it. It may be a lot slower, but it will still work. No big deal.

I just plugged in my newly purchased "USB Kingston Data Traveler 4GB Flash Driver" to backup my computer...but instead, I get strange messages, mostly on "how to safely unplug the hardware device", or "stop it", etc. (???)...before I even start and nothing happens!
    It's been recognized; that's good. If this flash drive came with some kind of backup software, it might be on the drive or on an included disk. Otherwise, just copy and paste. The drive will show up in My Computer, probably at the end of the chain, like drive "F", depending how many other partitions and drives you have. It will likely be titled "Removable Drive."

When you're done, there will be an icon in the taskbar at the bottom with a curved green arrow. Click on that and disable the drive before unplugging it.
    Last edited by DanceMan; December 21st, 2007 at 10:51 PM.

You have a Pentium 3. A computer of that vintage probably has only USB 1.1, which is slower than USB 2.0. The message is likely telling you to use USB 2.0, but your hardware doesn't support it. It may be a lot slower, but it will still work. No big deal.
    Thank you DanceMan! I wonder if downloading a driver would help to raise the speed of my computer USB? I went to Google and saw a place where one can download it....

It's been recognized; that's good. If this flash drive came with some kind of backup software, it might be on the drive or on an included disk. Otherwise, just copy and paste. The drive will show up in My Computer, probably at the end of the chain, like drive "F", depending how many other partitions and drives you have. It will likely be titled "Removable Drive."
    Oh no wonder I thought it did nothing! I didn't know I had to go to My Computer to see what it would do.

When you're done, there will be an icon in the taskbar at the bottom with a curved green arrow. Click on that and disable the drive before unplugging it.
    This is something I'd never have thought about. thanks so very much for all your valuable help!!! Now I'll be able to start backing up and hopefully I'll find no obstacles. Also, how can one find out what's the version of the computer USB?

Merry Christmas and other Holidays, and a Healthy, Peaceful and Lucky New Year! Adela

USB 1.1 or 2.0 is hardware; it's built into the chipset on the motherboard. You can't upgrade it with software. If the speed becomes an issue (try it as is first and see if what you have is okay) you can get a card for one of your PCI slots that will give you some USB 2.0 slots. They run about $10 -- make sure it has the NEC chip and not the Via chip if you get one.

XP should pick up your USB flash drive automatically and give it a drive letter. You should only need to open My Computer to find the drive and access it.

Merry Christmas. You can always get help and advice here, usually pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adela
    ... Also, how can one find out what's the version of the computer USB? ...
    You can take a look at the following, LINK

Along with what DanceMan has already suggested,
    Suggest that you avoid those with the ALi chip as well.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    USB 1.1 or 2.0 is hardware; it's built into the chipset on the motherboard. You can't upgrade it with software. If the speed becomes an issue (try it as is first and see if what you have is okay) you can get a card for one of your PCI slots that will give you some USB 2.0 slots. They run about $10 -- make sure it has the NEC chip and not the Via chip if you get one.
    Oh thank you again, DanceMan, I'm learning that you can download drivers on software only. As you so kindly advice, I'll try it as is, even if it slows down the backup. I see I'll have to insert the card inside the tower. Never went into this infernal machine entrails... LOL! So I hope I can get by without the card... But if it's necessary I'll buy the card and will make sure I get only the NEC brand.

XP should pick up your USB flash drive automatically and give it a drive letter. You should only need to open My Computer to find the drive and access it.
    I understand now, when I plug it in, it should give a drive letter which I will be able to see in My Computer? And then I can start backing up the computer?

Also thank you, Shinma for the link and the good advice! I'll stay away from Via and ALi if and when I must buy the card. I went to the link where various companies offer it, so I'll know where to find it.

Again thanks so very much to both, with my wishes for Happy Holidays and Healthy and Happy 2008! Adela

Hello again, I'm sorry to be so dumb, but I see now the Drive F in My Computer, so how do I start backing up into the flash drive? Thanks so much! Adela

You can copy and paste to back up files to the flash drive.

But if it's necessary I'll buy the card and will make sure I get only the NEC brand.
    The cards themselves can have any brand name, few of which you'll recognize. It will be the chip on the card that will be made by NEC, Via, or Ali.

Thread Information