Corrupted Hard Drive Partition
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Corrupted Hard Drive Partition

Unhappy Corrupted Hard Drive Partition

I have a Compaq PC with Windows XP Home Edition. Recently, I have been getting excessive amounts of viruses on the computer, which caused a significant decrease in it's performance. I tried to use my backup disk to reboot it so I could run the antivirus program more efficiently, but couldn't because it says the partition in my Hitachi Hard Drive is corrupt. Is there ANY way to get my pictures and I-Tunes downloaded music off of this hard drive?

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
    Run the Hitachi hdd diagnostic utility to check the integrity of the drive. It won't damage your data. These utilities run from a bootable disk, floppy or cd.
    If the disk, or parts of it, are readable, you can install it as a slave in another computer and copy your data over. If this is a notebook drive, you can use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter (only about $10) to connect it into a desktop, if the drive is IDE.

Arkham Asylum, Cell 13
    I tried to use my backup disk to reboot it
    What do you mean by that? Did you attempt a restore or an xp repair install?

Thanks for the tips! I contacted Hitachi and they suggested the same thing. To run their diagnostic test.
    The back up CD I used was a backup I created when I got the computer. The last time I ran it, I didn't do the full system restore, but a partial restore and most everything I had on the computer showed up again after running the cd (e.g. pictures I added, music I downloaded etc). But this time, it wouldn't let me run the cd because of a corrupt partition.
    But like I said, I'll try a diagnostic test to see what the problem is. Hitachi GST also recently gave me 3 websites that restore lost data. Hopefully I can fix it using these resources.

Thread Information