Where is the keyboard controller chip?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Where is the keyboard controller chip?

Question Where is the keyboard controller chip?

About four months ago I spilled milk on my laptop, it is a TOSHIBA Satellite L15. After this

occurred some of the letters appeared differently on the screen, from what I typed on the keyboard.

Example:
    This is what I received when I typed the alphabet.
    abcdefgh51230n6-qrst4vwxyz

I replaced the keyboard and am still experiencing the issue. I have done practically every troubleshooting test on it. I am thinking that the keyboard controller chip may need to be reseated or replaced. But I am having trouble locating a manual showing me where it is located on this model. Does anyone know where I can find this?

What happens if you hook up an external keyboard? Same issue?

it would be on the motherboard. it's not a separate chip.

When I use an external keyboard there are no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    it would be on the motherboard. it's not a separate chip.
    Well than I hope it is not an issue with the motherboard. That is not something I want to replace.

I should also add that there are no other issues with the computer other than the keyboard issue.

then you either got a DOA keyboard, or you messed up the socket for the keyboard ribbon cable.

Angry

then you either got a DOA keyboard, or you messed up the socket for the keyboard ribbon cable.
    Well I can only hope for a DOA keyboard, which is highly unlikely, since it is the same exact issue.

I don't want to have to replace the motherboard since the keyboard ribbon cable is part of it

since when is the ribbon attached to the motherboard? the ribbon cable should come off. if the colors are the same as other toshibas, you have to push the brown clasp away from the white socket to release the keyboard.

The L25 should be similar enough.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...clocking_1.htm

since when is the ribbon attached to the motherboard? the ribbon cable should come off. if the colors are the same as other toshibas, you have to push the brown clasp away from the white socket to release the keyboard.

Well if it isn't part of it I was misinformed . Which is good for me if that is the issue. I will check out that link. Thanks

If I go directly here http://www.irisvista.com under disconnecting keyboard it states that if you accidentally damage the connector, you'll have to replace the motherboard.

Is this incorrect?

yes. Like i said earlier, if it's not the keyboard then it's the motherboard itself. There is no "keyboard controller" chip.

Thread Information