[RESOLVED] DVD burner installation question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] DVD burner installation question

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] DVD burner installation question

I just received this burner in the mail: LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GSA-H54LK - OEM

this is link if u need more info: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16827136127

it came with no cords, im guessing my IDE from the CD-ROM drive will work, but should this be a master or slave? how do i know if my other DVD-ROM drive is a master or slave?

you would need to look at the jumper in the back of your current drive to see if it is master/slave or cable select. the easiest way would be to set up both drives with the cable select option.

Presuming that current system makes use of PATA/IDE drives only and no SATA drives are involved...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuiceMan
    ... it came with no cords, im guessing my IDE from the CD-ROM drive will work...
    Any standard PATA/IDE cable should work.

... but should this be a master or slave? ...
    Preferably configured as Secondary Master.
    If using HDD with ATA/IDE interface,
    The HDD would typically be configured as Primary Master.

... how do i know if my other DVD-ROM drive is a master or slave?
    As already pointed out by Midknyte,
    You will have to remove your current CD/DVD drive and look at the jumper settings located at the back of the drive.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

bleh

originally i had a CD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive, i replaced the CD-ROM drive with a DVD burner, the DVD-ROM had only the IDE and power connected to it, all i did was unhook the CD-ROM drive and replace with the DVD burner, the burner drive plays DVD's but when i put a blank DVD in there and goto windows explorer to look at the blank DVD info, i get this - D:\ is not accessible; incorrect function, also the burner drive goes from being listed as DVD-RAM drive to CD drive, is this normal?

-also, there is no SATA

if there is no data on the disc, then it would say it's not accessible. you'd need a burning program like nero to write data to the disc.

the description is really minor. i've seen it change just because you put a cd in versus a dvd. don't fuss about it.

thanks guys. nero told me that the new burner i put in is secondary master and the old drive is secondary slave. i think its operational now. i guess i dont need to worry about the plug inputs to right of the drive.

Thread Information