truly cloning a drive**
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: truly cloning a drive**

truly cloning a drive**

I have just recovered from a self imposed disaster.. that aside... i got a new drive and have rebuilt from windows up.... but now i want to get a different drive, and would rather not reinstall windows....

is there a way to clone the WHOLe drive .. registry, os,programs drivers.ect.. everything to a new drive?

or do i just rebuild?

Thank you

Ive just tried Acronis true image, just need to see if the pc will boot from it once i figure out how to do that.

Acronis should work. The new drive would have software to transfer (clone) the old drive to the new one also.

If you don't have the manufacturers software, I'd go for Acronis.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

i have acronis but i am unsure of how to clone my system drive to a new drive..

like i wouldn't know where to begin... set the new one as a slave ? format it ? clone it some how.... then pull drive out and swap drive in as new system drive....?

i know there are instructions but i dont want to mess it up... i have had serious data issues latley

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freetomove
    i know there are instructions but i dont want to mess it up...
    In theory, if you read the instructions you Won't mess it up

One of the key issues is when it's done the pc will shut down-> UNplug the cloned drive right then and there.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Question Related Question

I have a similar question myself, I'm looking for software to image a customized Ubuntu Linux build and I'm not sure what freeware partition imaging software would be right for the job. My system is currently an MDG build with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit, and I plan to add an Ubuntu partition when I get it back from the repair center. I plan to make up my Ubuntu part entirely with open source software.

Any ideas

Thread Information