Generic Laptop, hotwiring idea.....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Generic Laptop, hotwiring idea.....

Generic Laptop, hotwiring idea.....

hey everyone,

i have this generic laptop here, and when i say generic i mean it there isnt a single bit of information on this thing pertaining to who built it other than "made in china"

a buddy brought it to me with a bum power transformer, got a new one, no effect. The laptop woulndn't turn on at all. I tore it apart checked for cold solder joint on the DC jack, nothing. Checked and made sure it was getting the voltage. That was all months ago.

I had this idea today. The laptop works if the battery is fully charged. I was thinking about bypassing the battery and just feeding the equipment power that way though the battery's jack. But I dont know which pins are what. I tore apart the battery and was able to identify letters for the pin out but i have no idea what they mean..

from left to right

+ + X C D T I - -

the X is not connected to anything.

If anyone could share some insight or ideas, i'd appreciate it.

-kris

That's strange that you can't identify the manufacturer. There's got to be something you overlooked. Where did your buddy get it?
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

one of those home shopping things. QVC i think. All it says on the sticker on the bottom is Model No.: 400

hmmm.... try this

have the battery charged and use a voltmeter to see what pins are the actual power pins, and also note the voltage. then just get a variable power supply, set to the same dc voltage as the battery voltage, hook up to the pins on the laptop and see what happens.

i would think it should work. you would lose the ability to charge the battery pack, or use it at all really since you are only supplying the battery's operating voltage and not its charging voltage. but i would think the laptop would run, if it runs on battery now...

that was i was planning on doing just wiring up a dc power source to the power pins and using it as a "desktop" computer but the battery is dead, its been sitting for a while and I have no method of charging it.

You said you got a new power transformer. If you leave it hooked up for a few hours will it charge the battery? When you tore it apart, did you follow the voltage past the jack with a meter to see if it was actually getting past the jack?

i verified that the jack was in fact relieving the voltage and that it was the same voltage (and amperage) as the original transformer....it just doesnt get to the circuitry/battery.

What had happened was that she left it on the bed for a while and did this often and it ended up getting really warm melted the casing around the DC jack somehow the DC plug too was warped and melted, broke the leads off the plug and was pretty much only living on battery power. So whatever she did she torched the circuitry.

on black friday there will surely be $300 laptops that would probably blow that laptop out of the water in performance anyway- you might just want to save yourself the frustration especially it being a no-name lappy.

thats true but i'd rather spend $300 on something other than a laptop, i was just fiddling with this one taking on the challenge of making it work again. i have 3 desktops and 3 laptops (including this disfunct one, a disfunct toshiba (needs video card) and a HP from 2000. lol. my newest desktop is from xmas 05'.

Thread Information