[RESOLVED] blank laptop monitor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] blank laptop monitor

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] blank laptop monitor

Just drove back from a trip. Compaq Presario worked fine at motel. Pluged it in at home and monitor didn't come up. Turned computer off and on a couple of times. Still nothing. Decided to hook up an old CRT monitor and that works fine. Did the notebook monitor burn out or maybe something else? Should I just replace the screen at $300 or should I take it to shop and spend more? Could it be something beside a burnt screen?
    Please redirect me to a link if this has already been discussed.
    Thanks
    Dale

you can try reseating the lcd cables. if that doesn't work, it's either a bad lcd or inverter board.

I did try reseating the plugs. Any way to tell the difference between bad board and bad LCD? I don't have parts I could just switch out.
    Dale
    Last edited by dale331; October 23rd, 2007 at 09:20 AM.

At least in my experience, a bad inverter board did not result in a completely blank screen, but in a very dim one that you almost could not see (unless you were in a very dark room-that sort of thing). I do not know your model specifically-some machines have the inverter built into the display, some have it separate.

I went back in today and instead of just pressing on the connections I unpluged them and repluged them. When I put it all back together everything worked. Thank you for your help and I hope someone (maybe myself) will be able to use the info that was posted.
    Thanks again
    Dale

reseating means to unplug, (optionally clean the contacts) and replug, not just pressing on them.

I have the same problem with the Compaq Presario. I left the laptop on the chair and when I came back from the rest room, it was off and the monitor was blank when I turned it on. But I can see it dim when I put it in dark with some back light.

I replaced the inverter and have disconnected all the lines at the side of the monitor and plugged it back like you just said. But still it didn't work out, and currently I'm using it with external monitor. The bad thing about the Compaq is that the lights are inbuilt in the monitor so the whole LCD screen has to be replaced which costs about $300. Is there anyway to fix it besides replacing the LCD?

Just so I know next time I take things appart, what should you use to clean the contacts?

Thread Information