PhysX Accelerator Card - Can I Change The Cooler?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PhysX Accelerator Card - Can I Change The Cooler?

Question PhysX Accelerator Card - Can I Change The Cooler?

Hi, I am planning on buying one of these cards, mainly so I can laugh at myself about my amazing PC, no I'm kidding, I love my games thou and really want one of these, have done since I heard about it when it first came out...

Anyway, I have every single Fatal1ty product I can get in my PC. Now I was wondering, if I got this PhysiX card, could I use the Fatal1ty GPU Cooler on it instead?... Links to both products in question at bottom.

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/produc...oducts_id/2431
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=594

Honestly, you're better off putting your money into something else. Support for that card is really limited.

Yah, I know, people have said that before that theres no point in getting one, but I just thought it would be cool...

My birthdays coming up soon and I just sold my old PC so I have some spare cash (which is for my birthday dinner lol) but would it be better to just get another graphics card and run my PC in SLi?

What graphics card are you using right now?
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

just because you have spare cash doesn't mean you should waste it. SLI would be a better choice over Physx, but it depends on what you have already. for example, running dual 8600GTs would not be better than getting a single 8800GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    just because you have spare cash doesn't mean you should waste it. SLI would be a better choice over Physx, but it depends on what you have already. for example, running dual 8600GTs would not be better than getting a single 8800GT.
    That's my same thought, if you can run games, maybe not at highest graphics, but well, and they look nice, wait awhile. The longer you wait the better a part you get for your cash.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Well I just built a new PC with a Fatal1ty 8600GT PCI-E card, so I'm not looking to get the 8800 one as its about 200 more than mine! But I prob will in about 2 years or something better...

If thats the case, I might as well just get a PhysX card now then as I won't need to upgrade it. Plus I'm going to buy one at some point anyway... I wanted to know if I could change the cooler on it thou and replace it with the Fatal1ty GPU cooler?

Ultimately, it's your choice, it's your money. I can't help you with the cooling question, but make sure you know what you're buying before you buy it.

The PhysX cards only support a handful of PC games. Better make sure you're even running one of those games.

AGEIA PhysX supported titles

Even when reviewed, performance improvement is next to negligible. There are some improvements to things like cloth effects and other physics tasks, but that's about it.

Boy, that's a pretty short list!
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

An 8600GT isnt the best card, we're all aware, but, it isnt the worst card yet. There aren't enough games that thing supports, and I've heard of nice FPS drops with it. I wouldn't get it. If it was commonly used then yeah, it'd be worth it.

Also, check if there's anything else that needs to be upgraded that will last longer..Case, monitor, input devices, speakers..

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=707&chart=318

That's the jump from an 8600GT to a card about the speed of a 8800GT, double FPS total, yes, in a year, it'll be the same upgrade.

Give it some thought, do you need this card, saying yes isnt a bad thing at all, and rest on the thought of it for a week or two. Then you'll be a lot more sure on where to take your computer.

Thread Information