Need new video card with HDMI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need new video card with HDMI

Hybrid View

Need new video card with HDMI

I have old Dell SC1420 server with these slots:
    6 total I/O slots (five available)
    2 PCI Express slots (one x8, one x4), 2.5GHz
    3 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X slots 3.3V, 1 32-bit/33MHz PCI slot 5V (this slot is contains ATI Rage XL video card)
    Slots are full height and half length

And I need to add a new video card for HDMI. The system is Win XP Pro, Xeon 2.8G with 1GB RAM, Intel Gigabit NIC. 500 GB SATA HDD. I want to stream TV from Internet to 47 inch Philips LCD.

Am looking at the POWERCOLOR 26XT512M/D3HDMI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card from newegg. Am on limited budget now: layed off from work.

Need advice to see if this card will fit my server and provide fast enough speed to watch streaming TV. The only PC game will be Age of Empires. Nothing beyond that.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Please reply to Eric at blue ziro.com

I don't think an x16 PCI Express card will physically fit in an x8 slot. There are some motherboards which have a second/third video slot that's physically x16 and electrically x8, but I doubt that's what your server has. If you want to check, you can count the rows of pins in the slot -- according to this, an x8 physical slot will have 49 pairs, an x16 slot will have 82 pairs.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    From here
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../t-374297.html

Originally posted by lockbull

There is no AGP slot, and the PCI-Express slot is oddly configured. Basically the main PCI-E slot is a 16x length slot with pins for a 8x, and it has a plastic divider in the middle so only 8x boards fit. What this means is that you can't use any PCI-E graphics board (which are all 16x length) without modding the slot and removing the divider. You can find forum discussions on this topic if you search Google. Apparently the newer SC1420 machines have two plastic dividers, making it even more difficult to mod. So unless you mod the PCI-Express slot, you're stuck using an outdated PCI video card. I don't play games or do any heavy graphics/AV work, so that works out fine for me.
    Another link.
    http://www.poweredgeforums.com/showthread.php?t=1899

Thread Information