Problem with Nvidia Control Panel
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem with Nvidia Control Panel

Problem with Nvidia Control Panel

I made an overclock profile with Nvidia's control panel so it should execute when I open the "selected" games and stop when the games shut down. However it doesn't work. Any ideas?

I've seen a lot of posts where the profiles are just not being saved. Bug in the software I guess. Most people I think use a program called Rivatuner.
    http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

pff rivatuner is 3rd party

Do you think Rivatuner is safe?

And I checked it but it doesn't have any option like custom profiles for every game/application. I don't want to overclock the card when I'm not playing a game for example.
    Last edited by suicider785; October 23rd, 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Rivatuner uses the same method of overclocking that the nVidia Control Panel uses. Basically on nVidia 6xxx series cards and higher there is a 2D mode and a 3D mode for GPU speeds. The RAM speed stays at the same speed for both 2D and 3D modes. So if you overclock the video RAM, that's where it stays all the time. When a 3D application starts, the GPU speed increases to whatever you set for the overclock level. I really don't know why they made only the GPU revert to default speeds in 2D mode. This may be different for the 8xxx series and they might have made both the RAM and GPU speeds speed up or step down in sync with 3D/2D modes.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

OK, so I should just change the frequencies at the "performance 3D" tab and leave "standard 2D" and "low power 3D" at defaults?

And whenever I start an application it will automatically overclock and when shutting down it will downclock? And what about fan speed, it will remain the same all the time?

I just tried overclocking my card but it just keeps going on with rivatuner. With nvidia's control panel I could maximum get a 550/1500. But with rivatuner I can go further, it just keeps allowing it. Is it safe?

The test settings button in Rivatuner may not work depending on your OS or video card. You should try stressing the card with a program like Rthdribl to find artifacts. I think the artifact tester in AtiTool works on nVidia cards as well.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

OK I tried now and the maximum clock I could reach was 565/1600 (standard: 500/1400). It doesn't go further.

I also tried that HDR program and 3DMARK etc... No problems (yet )

Thread Information