Hard drive spins, but not recognized
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive spins, but not recognized

Hard drive spins, but not recognized

I have a Maxtor 60 gig hard drive, (MX6L040J2), with a lot of important, (to me anyways), info on it. Currently the hard drive spins, doesn't make any weird noises, is not detected on start up, but IS seen in the bios.

When I set it up as a slave I still can not see it, but can detect it in bios. It has been hampered by the delsim dialer virus, and I was never able to completely eliminate it. The last time the hard drive worked I noticed that the delsim logo was showing up in a lot of files, sort of taking over the files identity if you will. I am running XP pro w/756 megs of non ecc low budget ram.

Is there a way to get inside even though its not recognized? There must be some software which will detect it and can read what written there.

I would like to retrieve my files, and then I will donate this drive to the Person who has the answer I seek!

Good luck, I expect some tough competition out there from you hard drive aficionados.

Thanks,
    The Framer

Framer:

I would like to retrieve my files, and then I will donate this drive to the Person who has the answer I seek!
    lol, ThePerson98, I think he's talking to you!

Welcome aboard Framer! I would first check the drive thoroughly with Seagate SeaTools. That would first determine if the drive is detectable at all. If it is detected, then it could also determine whether there are any physical issues with the drive.

Suggest that you run the manufacturer's utility on the drive to see if there is a problem with its integrity.

Can you see the drive in Disk Management?

Assuming it passes, then suggest that you run your AV and spyware scans on the drive in Safe Mode. You may want to consider disabling System Restore during the scan to keep whatever it finds and you eliminate from regenerating itself.

Long shot, but if the files are that important. Try removing the drive and installing it in a USB enclosure. Then boot up the host pc with the ultimate rescue cd. ubcd4win.com and try to access the files on the drive that way. If you can, then you can burn them to cd or hook up another drive and transfer them. You can even run a virus scan on the drive. Maybe the virus is preventing windows from seeing the drive, so you need to bypass the normal windows boot up process some how. Unfortunately, those files may already be toast, as was already mentioned. You never know. Hope one of these solutions helps. Losing files really stinks.
    Last edited by MAyers57; October 12th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

Trying

Ok, thanks all for the info, I am just getting back from dinner and will begin at the beginning(!) and work my way thru. I don't have a working floppy so I downloaded and burned a copy of Seagates' sea tools, cdrom image but its an ISO and frankly I don't know what to do with that. I had hoped after burning I could open it, but no. Pressing on...

Framer

ISO files need to be burned to disc as a disc image, not as is. What burning software are you using?

Also, the disc you create is a boot disc and should be booted off, not run from Windows.

I have no software, I do understand that it is not to be run from windows, but from DOS

Well I've downloaded nero, isobuster, and undisker...bottom line, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I have wasted 3 cd's trying to get the seagate tools to a bootable cd. No success.

Framer

I've attached a screen shot of Nero Express. You'll see the menu option I have highlighted in the "What would you like to burn?" menu.

The option says: Disc Image or Saved Project

Click on that and then point it to the ISO file you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bink, I did get nero to burn and ran the test.

Device 1 is Seagate device Maxtor6L040J2
    on generic PCI ATA
    device is 28 bit addressed-max lba 78177792 (40.027 GB)
    this drive supports security features
    smart is supported & enabled
    smart has not been tripped
    dst is supported
    logging feature set is not supported
    POH 17694 current temp 88 worst temp 76
    drive fails pretest smart checks
    drive has been over temp -- 88
    start read scan on 10/13/2007 -@ 8:11.11
    read scan passed on 10/13/2007 -@ 8:30.24

Well thats it for now, I need to head off to work . Whats next? what do I do with that information?

Thanks,
    Framer

Try downloading the freebies previously mentioned to try and recover the files. One step at a time, from simple to complex. Obviously the drive is good, it's strictly a software issue now. Divide and conquer.
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

My next step would probably be to try the drive in another system (if available). Before plugging it into that other system, ensure a quality anti-virus product is present, running and up-to-date (Discussion - AntiVirus Chart).

If it works, you can then takes steps to backup your important data. Once you've done that, I'd suggest writing zeros (totally wiping it) and then starting fresh.

OK!
    Where do I send that hard drive off to? This is so great! Thanks to all. --http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk.-- This was the golden program that read my drive! I got back months of book keeping records and other files that I have deemed important!.

Next up, I had a less than genuine version of windows on a Dell computer... We then bought a legit copy of Vista, (big mistake), So I just bought brand new "sealed w/coa", (turns out the coa is on my computer), copy of XP pro for Dell computers on ebay and its here now, but its more of a back up copy. Will it load?, heres hoping.

Framer

drive fails pretest smart checks
    drive has been over temp -- 88
    I would not be so sure this drive is healthy. I'd copy the data on it asap. Before I'd use it as an OS drive, I'd do more testing. It wasn't clear from your post, but most manufacturer hdd test utilities I've run had two test options, a quick test and a full test. Did you run either of these, because what you posted looks more to me like simply a reading of the SMART info?
    If it's been overtemp, it's either crammed into the case where it's not getting adequate airflow and cooling, or it has an internal fault causing it to overheat. I'd want either resolved before I'd put another OS on it.

Thread Information