64 Bit Notebooks Come With 32 Bit Vista....WTF!?!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 64 Bit Notebooks Come With 32 Bit Vista....WTF!?!

64 Bit Notebooks Come With 32 Bit Vista....WTF!?!

I asked Newegg and they told me to their knowlege no OEM has sold a notebook with 64 Bit Vista, yet nobody sells a 32 bit notebook anymore. So basically, if you want an operating system that utilizes the hardware, you must void your warrantee to have it. Is this a conspiracy between Micro$oft and OEMs? I also note that my friend who bought a notebook recently bought an Acer and Acer's software that comes preloaded with Vista, gets complained about by Vista as having " known compatibility issues". I am dying to find any reason not to hate Vista but I'll be damned if I can find anything positive yet.

And I am not so impressed with Acer either....

do you have 64-bit apps? Do you have a laptop with 4GB of ram? If not, then i don't see why you would need x64 windows.

There are still major driver availability issues with 64-bit. That's why the manufacturers are shipping computers with 32-bit OS.

Yeah, 64bit will consume more memory space, and all your 32bit app's must be run under the WOW32 emulator. It just makes more sense to use a 32bit OS to run all your 32bit programs.

I have Vista Ultimate, which ships with both versions. I tried 64bit, and it seems a tad slower than 32bit, so I decided to run 32bit on my rig. I suspect that mainstream 64bit support is still a ways off.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

It's kind of interesting, but even at work, where I have many high end servers, not one is 64bit. I believe our Unix server is 64bit, but I've yet to see any windoz box running any apps that utilize 64bit. ummm.
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

Exchange 2007 REQUIRES x64 windows. They are gradually getting there.

The point I was trying to make is that most people wouldn't use x64 on their desktop, let alone a laptop. So why would the manufacturers want to sell x64 on their mainstream systems? If you really need x64, you'd probably want a custom system anyway.

I find in very discomforting how Windows drives the mainstream hardware and software manufacturers all around the world. If Windows decided tomorrow that 64bit was to be the std, it would be so. Manufacturers would then all start scrambling around to be the first to have their product on the shelves. I'm not a big Windows fan for many reasons, but I do believe they have the best marketing scheme and people in the world. They drive this business. Linux is making a valiant effort to dethrone Windows, but so far has failed, even though it's free. That fact alone amazes me. Windows needs some serious competition and I really started to think that Linux had a shot. I guess time will tell.
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

Driver compatibility issues are a piss poor excuse to me. They can write a driver for 64 bit if they want and most programs I use run on 64bit XP, they wouldn't run on any flavor of Vista though. To me if I have a 64 bit processor I damn well want an operating system that can utilize it whether I need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by markjs
    Driver compatibility issues are a piss poor excuse to me. They can write a driver for 64 bit if they want and most programs I use run on 64bit XP, they wouldn't run on any flavor of Vista though. To me if I have a 64 bit processor I damn well want an operating system that can utilize it whether I need it or not.
    I'll second that notion

64 bit apps are still a long way off from the mainstream so I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a 64 bit OS.

I bought the Ultimate vers of Vista so I have both the 64 bit and 32 bit DVD's. I am running the 32 bit vers though.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by markjs
    They can write a driver for 64 bit if they want and most programs I use run on 64bit XP, they wouldn't run on any flavor of Vista though.
    The difference between XP and Vista is the DRM requirements and how Vista enforces them. The hardware manufacturers are responsible for writing the drivers and aquiring the license to say Windows Vista Certified. Safeguarding ones Intelectual Property Rights and source of income are far more important than writing the best software.

Thread Information