Think my video card is failing. x800 pro
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Think my video card is failing. x800 pro

Thumbs down Think my video card is failing. x800 pro

ok, gonna type fast because idk how long i can keep reading this. After a shrot while of general computing or gaming (card doesn't have to be under great load) my monitor image with freeze without the computer freezing. My monitor might click off and the green light turn to orange on the power button but then it will click again as if changing resolution and the light will go back to green but the screen is now black.

Not sure if it's heat related but it's rather annoying. any suggestions?

btw, the performance is still up to par and the image hasn't lost any quality.

how old is the monitor? did you try a different monitor?

check that your video card fan is spinning and clean. they can get pretty dusty.

ok, i was just playing tiger woods 07, a game I thought not to bee too graphically demanding, but I run ati tray tools and have the temp monitor up. around 50-60fps but temps slowly climbed to around 80*C then bam, screen goes out.

The fan is spinning and I just cleaned the dust out of it. There wasn't a whole lot. My gpu temp at idle is 42-43. hmmm Aftermarket GPU cooler?

Can you remove the side cover and set a fan to blow on high directly
    on the GPU? If it holds then that's ur problem.
    Mike
    http://www.gegeek.com
    Still XP and Loving it.
    No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.

ok, it's isnt temp related. I was posting a reply saying that it was idling just fine around 43-44* and then it happened again. this time the screen kept the same image but it looked pixelated like a big picture that isnt quite done loading. ugh

I'll try to find a fan

if it happens at idle, it's either a bad card or a bad monitor. i don't think another fan will help.

My X800 Pro with the stock cooler used to have temps in the mid-70s when gaming and around 45 idle too. GPUs are made to handle those kinds of temperatures. If the errors happens at idle, like Midknyte said, it's not likely to be overheating. Trying another card or another monitor would be my next step.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information