Success Stories ONLY: Toshiba A135-S2386 Function keys
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Success Stories ONLY: Toshiba A135-S2386 Function keys

XP Drivers for A135-S2386 Toshiba Satellite

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

* DO NOT POST QUESTIONS here: use a new thread.
    * post only for the A135 S2386
    * post your success story and advice \ experience
    * post any lingering issues \ improvement opportunities

The reason for this is that a similar thread blew up to several hundered posts and is difficult to find information to achieve the objective: succesful and quick installation of drivers, without wading through 300+ postings.

THANK YOU FOR COOPERATING AND FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS.

I am in the proces of installing Datar's 2276 drivers on my S2386 and will post results upon success.
    Last edited by gatorback; July 5th, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

Success!

GENERAL COMMENTS
    ================
    DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD.

I will not answer them if you do. You can email comments to @yahoo.com and I will answer your questions. If you can't figure my yahoo email address then PM me. Please read the posting carefully before sending me questions.

This thread is only for succesful observations. This ensures that this thread will not blow up to 350+ postings.

Read this entire thread before attempting to install. This will save you time and headaches. If you follow the directions religiously you will be a happy camper.

These comments are for the Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386. Install the device drivers in order that is listed below.

PARTIMAGE
    =========
    I recommend that you have a way to snap an image of your HDD in order to allow you to experiment with drivers. I use partimage (www.partimage.org) and is free. After I installed XP and BEFORE I installed any drivers, snapped an image of my partition and MBR so that I could experiment with drivers it and restore it to a known state after my experiment. This exercise of finding and installing drivers took me 10+ hours and I hope to save you time by publishing what I have learned.
    If you elect to ignore this advice, you may (in all likeliness) find yourself reinstalling the OS several times. Partimage allows me to reinstall the OS in under 10 minutes: I reinstalled with partimage 5 times. In fact I will continue to snap images as I add greater functionality to the machine: this ensures that I can revert to a known good state.
    However, that being said, if I have done a good job here and you follow the directions, it is theoretically possible to "get it on the first try" and not need partimage. Although this step is optional, taking the time to learn and use this technology is akin the initial adoption of a cellular phone: once you realize how simple it is and its immense benefits, you will ask "how did I live without it?"

VIDEO
    =====
    DO NOT USE the video driver in Datar's Omega Video drivers. I was unable to retain 1280 X 800 resolution settings using those drivers.

Download drivers from here and install: http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/x...grated-xp.html. If memory serves, you may need to install MS .net 2.0 framework. Google it and download from MS.

Find the path to the directory 'XP_INF' this should contain the driver file CX_48640.inf.

MANUAL INSTALLATION OF VIDEO DRIVER: This was the most problematic because it is unlike the other drivers: necessary to install the driver "manually". What I mean by this is that it is necessary to specify the location of the driver. Specifically:
    1) From the Device Manager, select your device and click the "update driver button"
    2) You will be prompted by the wizard, choose to use Windows Update: choose the last "No, not this time".
    3) Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
    4) Select "Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install"
    5) Click "Have Disk" button
    6) Select directory containing CX_48640.inf
    7) Choose the first instance of ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series

Verify that your driver works by setting the resolution to 1280 x 800 and rebooting. The litmus test is that it should reboot in 1280 X 800.

AUDIO
    =====
    The audio device is coupled to the modem: you must install the audio driver before the modem driver. Download the audio driver, install and reboot. Do not worry about error messages. This was the easiest of the drivers to install.

DRIVER: ftp://209.216.61.149/pc/audio/WDM_R170.zip
    ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R170.zip
    ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/audio/WDM_R170.zip
    or
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs choose the first XP driver 25167K (zipped). There is also a readme file.

ALL OTHER DRIVERS
    ==================

datar's drivers: http://www.mediafire.com/?5jzw0gmnz4i

BCCOMP PUBLISHED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD: THIS IS NOT MY WORK AND I HAVE COMMENTED IT. I put warnings in below in CAPS:

On Datar's CD Use the following Drivers
    Video- DO NOT USE!!! -- gatorback Ati Radeon 200m (Omega Version 3.8.330)
    Audio- DO NOT USE!!! see above Realtek HD Audio
    Modem- Toshiba Software Modem
    SM Bus Controller- ATI IO Communication Bus Controller
    Wireless- Atheros AR5006 Wireless Network Adapter OEM1

I DID NOT NEED TO INSTALL THESE- gatorback
    Sound- Realtek High Definition Audio
    Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
    Mouse- I went to the Synaptics web site to download the touchpad

After these are downloaded you should have only 2 Unknown devices
    These are Direct Application Launch Buttons (you will have to install these for each of the unknown devices). You should then see all the yellow marks gone in device manager. If you go to hidden view you will see one unknown device, ACPI. This is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I am still working on this one, but it seems it is Vista related. I know others have tried to download the original ATI Catalyst for video, but were unable to install.
    You may want to try downloading and installing the Southbridge and then the ATI Video driver only to see if that works. This may get the Fn keys to work, but I have not tried this. Be sure to do a Full Microsoft Update to resolve the processor at only running half speed. I had this problem until I did a full update (do not know why). I had only a 2 day window to get this computer running for a client.
    That being said, the modem, SMbus, 2 unknown devices and the wireless can be done with 'Datar's' drivers for the Toshiba 2276. This was relatively easier than the audio and video and I figured these out with little to no problems. These will knock out the devices that need drivers found in the device manager.

Ensure that you choose the Atheros AR5006X wireless LAN DRIVER.

If you have had success with the Fn keys on a Toshiba A135-S2386 I invite you to contact email me at yahoo.com. I would like to maintain the detail and link quality: please contact me and I will help you before you post it to the thread.

62 views at time of posting.
    Last edited by gatorback; July 7th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Thank you very much. I have bought A135-S2386, but I must install XP to be compatible with my applications.

I am offering XP driver support service through eBay. Just search for XP Driver Support for Toshiba A135-S2389 in eBay.

The service includes installing the drivers on your machine. Additional services include snapping an image of your drive. If you skip eBay and deal directly, I will offer a discount on the image of your drive.

DO NOT POST any questions regarding the service here (I will not answer them). I do not want this thread to become longer than necessary. Instead, just e-mail me: coronabeach at gmail.

I already made an image for XP with all WROKING drivers. So if anyone need it do not pay for it just ask!

Microsoft and the FBI have been notified (they monitor activity and there is no need for me to report this): it is illegal to distribute an image and violates intellectual property patents \ licensing agreement.

Why take risk when you can download and install the drivers yourself? If you can't do it yourself, I am providing support.

I agree that the drivers should not be paid for: that is I clearly posted driver links for readers in the second posting of this thread. Request an image at your own risk. Why would anyone want a "WROKING" image anyways...

POSTINGS SHOULD HAVE A (LEGAL) CONTRIBUTION THAT HELPS THE COMMUNITY: ILLEGAL ACTIVITY ONLY HURTS THE COMMUNITY
    Last edited by gatorback; July 15th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Success Stories ONLY: Toshiba A135-S2386 Function keys

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE RULES TO KEEP THIS THREAD SHORT AND SWEET

1. Post questions in ANOTHER THREAD.
    2. I will NOT answer any question posted here.
    3. This thread is only for successes stories.
    4. Contribute: post relevant URLs where possible.
    5. Ensure what you have written makes a relevant contribution
    6. Identify the Toshiba model number if not using an A135-S2386

You may PM questions or email me at yahoo dot com.

I WILL IGNORE ALL FUTURE POSTINGS FORM USERS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW 'DA RULES! PLEASE IGNORE POSTERS THAT CAN NOT FOLLOW RULES.

OK, that being said, I downloaded the Toshiba Hotkey Utility and was abe to recover FnF3 sleep functionality.

You may need to download the 'Toshiba Common Module' first. I will let user look this up and post there successful results.

It seems that FnF3 (Sleep) now works. FnF4 (hibernation?) does not do anything and video out is not working. FnF5 cause the screen to momentarily disappear (and falsely raising my hopes). The FnF11 numeric keypad function works.

If anyone would like to publish detailed "how to get the video-out working" I would appreciate that.

PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS TO THIS THREAD.
    Last edited by gatorback; July 21st, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

is this laptop new or used?

did the video-out ever work?

has the os been reinstalled since new from factory?

if so, were the reinstall cd's used or a rtm disc?

are you sure youre using the right cable?

are you sure your video drivers are set to enable the second video port?

did you eat your wheaties today?

if so, how were they?

oh wait, nevermind this is a questionless thread. forget my attempt to clarify what the heck you are trying to do.

FnF12 Scroll Lock is working.

This was probably working when I made the first post: I just did not know what FnF12 did and as a result had no way of verifying its functionality. I have never really had any need for this functionality, however, it is good to be aware of it because its unintentional invocation causes unexpected (i.e. annoying) effects.

I was experiencing unexpected behavior in Excel: the arrow keys would scroll the viewing area instead of moving the cursor to the desired cell. After looking up possible problems (Google), I found that the scroll lock had been turned on. Toggling FnF12 quickly resolved this problem.

I invite others to try this and post any successes that are truly contributions to getting the Fn keys working on the A135-S2386.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hnatuan
    Thank you very much. I have bought A135-S2386, but I must install XP to be compatible with my applications.
    Worst case scenario, you can use Thinstall to encapsulate your applications on an XP installation and then move them over to Vista. Thinstall was built with these sort of issues in mind. They're the perfect solution if you have to use Vista, but only have XP/2000 compatible programs.

I like my fun keys.

Toshiba 135A-S2386 Win XP ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Video Driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the Mobility ATI Express driver; here is how to make it an auto install.
    1. Run the Catalyst 7.7 driver zip file and install
    2. Install will fail
    3. Navigate to a directory on the C drive
    C:\ATI\Support\7-7igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF
    4. Open the CX_49709.inf file;
    Next click the Edit Menu then Find and enter XPRESS 200
    This should find the line below:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200" = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5955

Enter a blank line after the line above and paste in the line below:

"ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series " = ati2mtag_RS480M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF041179

5. Save the file.
    6. Select Display adapter from Device Manager and select Reinstall Driver
    7. Select on second screen "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    Click next
    8. Select on third screen "Search for the best driver in these locations"
    Uncheck the “Search removal media”
    Check the “Include this location in the search”
    Click the “Browse” button and navigate to a directory on the C drive
    C:\ATI\Support\7-7-igp_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_sb_gart_enu_49709\Driver\XP_INF

9. Click next and driver will install the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M.
    10. Reboot and verify the driver installed is:

ATI Technologies Inc.
    Driver Date: 6/26/2007
    Driver Version; 8.391.0.0

So far the driver is working ok.

Also, with this driver the Monitor device drivers automatically loaded.

Now if we can get the function keys working.

Toshiba Win XP Driver A135-S2386 Synaptics Mouse

Update. Use the Toshiba Vista recovery disk and install the Synaptics TouchPad Driver 9.1.0.0 Logo. This will install a driver compatable with Win XP.

Thumbs up Excellent, worked perfectly!

Last sunday I had already spent more than 8 hours trying to "downgrade" to XP my friend's notebook A135-S2386, was tired and seriously considering a "rollback" to Vista and its 350 MB memory use, when I found this article.
    Thanks to you and all your detailes instructions, system resources are all functioning and my job was finished that very day!

I cannot make the brightness decrease or increase, herewith the brightness ever keep in maximum, causing a low efficiency of the battery...

yet look all the drivers, and I cannot find the driver correct in order to this function =(

somebody help ? since now thanks a lot

note: sorry by the my english, is very poor, Im a brazilian

Thread Information