[RESOLVED] CD drive problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] CD drive problem

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] CD drive problem

I have a Compaq Presario 5070 with Windows XP SP3 as the operating system. I have a problem with my CD drive - a LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4832K.

If I insert a CD I can hear it start up but it is not reading the disk. When I check the device manager it indicates that there is a problem.

Since I can hear it running I assumed that it is a driver issue so I uninstalled it and restarted the computer.

On restart the computer recognized the CD drive but it still indicated that there was a problem so I asked it to look for a new driver and got the following message.

"Successfully loaded the device driver but cannot find the hardware".

Can anyone advise me how to correct this situation so that I can once again use the drive?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks. I used your second reference and that seems to have fixed it.

The second link is basically a vb script that does what's in the first link. Glad to hear it worked.

Follow on problem

Having solved my CD problem I tried to play a CD on it and got the following message.

"Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web Site?"

I went through the whole process of downloading the appropriate WMP hot fixes and security updates and installing WMP11 from the Microsoft Web Site, shutting down my computer to complete the installation, going through the options setting routine only to receive a yellow Microsoft update shield in my task bar.

I went to install the update which promptly failed. It turned out that the update was a WMP security fix, KB936782, which is already installed on my computer.

I tried to open WMP11 and received the same WMP not correctly installed message as before.

I seem to be in a closed loop which I can't escape from.

I tried deleting WMP11 through the control panel which goes through the motions of rolling it back to the previous version but doesn't delete it.

Can you please advise me how to fix these WMP problems?

It is driving me nuts as everything I have found and tried has failed.

I appreciate your help.

Thread Information