Video Card/PSU Problems?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video Card/PSU Problems?

Exclamation Video Card/PSU Problems?

Ive had this problem for almost 2 weeks now. Ive posted everywhere, called everyone I know, virtually tried everything. I cant find a solution anywhere.

The Problem is...
    My computer, on bootup, wont display anything on the screen.
    At first I thought it wasnt posting, as It gave me 2 beeps. Which for my computer, was the code of not detecting a video card. So I tested everything Im my computer.

Unplugged everything. Tested everything. No luck
    Luckily my computer has a on-board video card. Plugged my monitor into that an everything booted up fine. Visual on the screen and everything. So next I thought it had to be my video card. So I bought a new one. And before I bought a new one, my old one appeared to not run at all, fan wasnt running or anything. So once I got my new card put in the computer, I turned it on and still the same problem. At this point I was completely stumped. So for the hell of it I put in my old one back in to try it. It finally posted and appeared to be running with the fan spinning and everything. But I still did not get a visual on the screen. 2 weeks later after asking everyone I know and posting everywhere I can find, I'm here.

I just put it back in my comp and booted up and let it sit there for a few minutes... Blindly, I moved my mouse around to try to click my a login name and eventually I did and I heard the windows startup music come on.
    People have told me that the PSU was dying and not giving enough "juice" to the video card. I'm about to buy a new one but I wanna make sure first.

So guys...and gals... anyone have any idea on what the problem may be?

-Thanks

Since you suspect that the PSU is not up to the task,
    You can use the following for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime

lotsa cpus etc. supported.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma
    Since you suspect that the PSU is not up to the task,
    You can use the following for reference.
    Already tried that, I hit 285
    Plus Ive had this card running for a year now, no problems till now.

That can happen, runs fine for a year, then problems crop up.

Non-gamers like me can scrape by with generic branded psu's, but if you have a serious video card in the system and push the system by gaming, it will eventually take its toll. You need a psu from a reputable manufacturer:Enermax, Fortron (FSP), Seasonic, Silverstone, etc. SPCR (link below) has very good psu tests.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    That can happen, runs fine for a year, then problems crop up.

Non-gamers like me can scrape by with generic branded psu's, but if you have a serious video card in the system and push the system by gaming, it will eventually take its toll. You need a psu from a reputable manufacturer:Enermax, Fortron (FSP), Seasonic, Silverstone, etc. SPCR (link below) has very good psu tests.
    I'm a gamer, but I dont push anything to its limits, overclocking and whatnot. But anyways, I think I might have solved my problem. My old video card is junk now and the one I ordered works but I need a better PSU. Its going to be 680w with +12v, 22a. That will support my computer needs.

Thread Information