IDE or SATA?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: IDE or SATA?

IDE or SATA?

I have an old computer I built in 2001, It's an AMD 1.33Ghtz with 768MB Ram (this is the MAX 3x256 says Gigabyte) anyway my question is this...

I need to put a 2nd HD in since my original 80GB is maxed. The motherboard has a HDD contoller that only supports up to UATA66.. So should I buy a standard IDE HD or should I buy a PCI SATA Controller card and a SATA HDD?

Here is the one I was looking at -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839125503

Do you think I will see any performance increase with the PCI card and SATA HDD or should I save my money and buy an IDE inerfaced HDD?

Opinions/Guidance greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Hookedontonics; June 24th, 2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

Save your money and just buy a PATA/IDE drive.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma
    Save your money and just buy a PATA/IDE drive.
    Ditto.

Get an IDE drive and look for a model with nice quick access times. Your sequential transfer rate (STR) will be a little limited by the ATA66 interface but if the access times are fast then it can still be snappy. In my personal experience low access times do more to make a system feel "snappy" than does fast STR.

Quote Originally Posted by uart
    Ditto.

Get an IDE drive and look for a model with nice quick access times. Your sequential transfer rate (STR) will be a little limited by the ATA66 interface but if the access times are fast then it can still be snappy. In my personal experience low access times do more to make a system feel "snappy" than does fast STR.
    What would be a good low STR number? Im looking for 300GB or so any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Hookedontonics
    What would be a good low STR number? Im looking for 300GB or so any recommendations?
    Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to imply that you must use a low STR drive, Your ATA66 interface will automatically limit the STR of whatever HDD you hook up to it.

Typical STR's on current generation drives at the 300GB point are around 60 to 75 MB/sec. (current 500G to 1000G drives can be a little faster, up to nearly 90MB/sec, because they have the highest density platters). With ATA66 you'll find yourself stuck at about 55-60MB/sec actual STR no matter what drive you choose. I know that doesn't sound real good, but my point is that as long as the drive has fast access/seek times then it will still feel quite fast. STR isn't everything.

For a good fast drive I'd recommend something like the Western Digital WD3000KS or perhaps whatever is available at 300GB ATA in the Hitachi 7kxx series.
    Last edited by uart; June 30th, 2007 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information