SATA vs. ATA harddrives
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SATA vs. ATA harddrives

SATA vs. ATA harddrives

my kid's harddrive crashed and burned yesterday... the damm WDigital 120gig drive i purchased in 2004 apparently only had a 1yr warranty (i swear the damm box said 3yr warranty... i don't buy drives with 1yr)... so it's out of warranty.

my question... anyone know of western digital trying to pull a fast one like this (about changing 3yr to 1yr warranties)???

secondly, i found a 300gig maxtor at Office Depot for $50bucks (after rebate).. no way in hell the kid is gonna use all that.... but if i update the kid's system in a couple of years will an ATA hard drive work with the new SATA motherboards???? i know it's only $50bucks, but still!!!

or...... i have an old seagate 8.2gig drive i could put into the system... but with winXP taking 1gig and most of these damm kid games using up about 300-500megs each.. well that space would be gone in no time flat.

Typically retail versions have shorter warranty than the OEM versions.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

the maxtor i bought today has a 3yr warranty..... i'm certain that the western digital did as well

There was a period a little while back when all the HDD manufacturers for whatever reason,
    Shortened the warranties on their HDD.

If you search the forums, you can read all the members fuming about it.

Luckily, that only lasted about a year or so, then the manufacturers reverted back to having multi years warranty.
    In part probably due to end users boycotting/avoiding purchases of those manufacturers with those ridiculous one year warranties.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

well... my only concern in using this maxtor 300gig drive i bought today was that i would NOT be able to use it in a future upgrade... but looking at newegg and tigerdirect, i noticed that most of todays motherboards include BOTH IDE and SATA interfaces!!!

now i fell better about using this drive in the kid's system.. i was worried that a future motherboard/cpu upgrade would make this ATA drive obsolete and i'd be out the moola............ how long before the IDE interface is phased out anywayz????

There was a period of time a few years ago where most of the hdd warranties shrank to 1 year, along with the (lack of) reliability. Your drive probably fell in that time. Now it's fallen in its time.

The boards seem to moving to have only one IDE input, but Sata optical drives are now appearing. Personally I'd be more worried about it being a Maxtor than an IDE. Saw a comparison between two near identical HP towers, one AMD, one Intel and the luck of the assembly line had a WD 160G in one and a Maxtor 160G in the other, both Sata, I think. The Maxtor was running 10C hotter. Test is at SPCR. If it's mounted where it's well ventilated, it's a pretty good price, why not?

I agree with DanceMan, give it good ventilation. I'm setting a system for my stepsister and got to try both Maxtor and WD 80GB drives. Outside the case, the WD runs at 32-34C whereas the Maxtor runs at 47-49C. To its credit, the Maxtor is older (2002 vs 2007), so it's not totally an apples-to-apples comparison and they might be a bit cooler now.

Core i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell U2415

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

The SPCR comparison drives would both be current. I would expect any current hdd to be quieter and cooler than one three years or more older. I was surprised to see that much difference in two new ones.

Thread Information