USB 1.1 device recognition in Win 2k
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: USB 1.1 device recognition in Win 2k

USB 1.1 device recognition in Win 2k

Just picked up an old LaCie external cdrw with a usb 1.1 output. I intend to remove the 4X cdrw and install a hard drive so this can be used as a backup device for my daughter.
    Connected to a notebook with usb 2.0 ports running 2k, the LaCie is seen as a removable usb device after installing a usb 1.1 2k driver from LaCie, but does not show up in My Computer or Nero. So I have no way of accessing it. I did a restart of the notebook with the device powered and tried hot-plugging it but it only shows up in the taskbar as a removable device to be disabled before disconnecting.
    When I hot-plug it to an older notebook with a usb 1.1 port running XP it is recognized and I can access files on a disc in it. Daughter's computer has usb 2.0 ports and is running XP. Is my problem accessing it on the first notebook due to 2k or to the mismatch of usb 1.1 and 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    the LaCie is seen as a removable usb device after installing a usb 1.1 2k driver from LaCie
    I suspect the USB chipset in the notebook needs updating also.

Running W2K on the house computer and there are 6 different USB devices in the Device Manager. I have a PCI USB 1.1 and 2.0 device that drives a USB to Serial cable with no issues.

Did it not show up at all before you installed the LaCie drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763
    Did it not show up at all before you installed the LaCie drivers?
    It popped up the "Install New Hardware" box before the 1.1 driver for 2K was installed. LaCie's instructions were to install the driver first before connecting the device.

Both the hardware and Win are seeing the device if it shows up in the taskbar. It's labelled a dvd when you mouse over the disconnect icon. I might be answering my own question here. It would seem to be a software issue with 2k because it obviously is detected in one part of the OS.

Thread Information