Too many CD drives listed
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Too many CD drives listed

Too many CD drives listed

My Dad has an ECS P4VXASD2+ and a Celery 2.3ghz chip running XP Home. He has a CDRW (D and a dual layer DVDRW (O installed.

When I open Explorer to browse his drives I see 4 different removable media drives listed (not counting his floppy drive). They are listed as D:\, E:\, N:\ and O:\, 3 CDRW's and 1 DVDRW. I was able to view a DVD that was in the "O" drive and I can read a CD that's in the D:\ drive, but the other two drives don't allow me to explore anything and ask for media to be inserted.

I know, I look at his drives and wonder why he has such small partitions that make it necessary to have a drive "O:\", but that's another subject entirely!!

But, what I can't figure out is: Where did those two other "ghost" drives come from?? I've tried to delete them and can't. I've gone to Device Manager and uninstalled them and they still show up when the computer is re-booted. They display in Device Manager as SCSI drives and as far as I know he doesn't have any SCSI devices or cards installed and never has had on this installation of windows.

Could it be something in the registry? I'm just not sure and hoping for some direction.

Thanks,

ed
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

I'm a bit out of my depth on this but I think some other types of drives end up classed under "scsi" in the bios, like sata. Zip drives also did. Could some of these phantom drives have been usb flash drives or external drives?

does he have any virtual drive software installed, such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, or Virtual CloneDrive?
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

imaging softwares also install virtual drives. also, the virtual drives tend to show up as scsi devices.

check your burning/imaging softwares and see if any have the virtual drives enalbed.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll check his machine later this evening. I think that he does have Daemon Tools and Clone CD installed. He also has a usb printer that has a flash card reader, so it could be any of those items.
    AMD AM2 5600+ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro Asus M2N 2gb Corsair XMS2 250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda XFX GTX260 Core 216 LeadTek PVR2000 Capture Card CoolerMaster Centurian 5 case Corsair VX550 PSU 19' DCL LCD Vista Home Premium 64

Folding@Home Stats Join the Team

Thread Information