DVD Drive is working until windows starts
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVD Drive is working until windows starts

DVD Drive is working until windows starts

Recently I connected my HD into other PC then I connected it back on my PC but now I'm having a hard time to make my DVD drive work, I never had problems before and it was working fine.

This is what happens:
    When I turn on the PC, the DVD led flashes and everything, I can open and close the tray without problems. The DVD drive is showed in the bios too. But as soon as Windows XP starts loading the DVD drive wont work, with this I mean it wont even open the tray. Once Windows has started its the same...

It looks like the drive is detected because under device manager it shows this: "DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom device", and my other CD drive is listed too. But when I try to access it, I get a "Please insert a disk into drive E:" eventho I already have a disc there. If I try to eject it using windows nothing happens.

This is how I have my connections:
    (got primary and secundary IDE enabled in bios)

Primary IDE: Master is my HD
    Primary IDE: Slave is CD-ROM Drive

Secundary IDE: Master is DVD drive (the one with problems)
    Secundary IDE: Slave = nothing

Already tried swapping the DVD-Drive to primary IDE as slave but it happens exactly the same.

Im so confused, why would it work before windows starts to load, but wont work after?? What do you recommend me to do? Im out of ideas, do you think its the drive jumpers? Or something related to Windows? should I reinstall?

You could try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

But generally when the problem described in that article occurs, your CD/DVD drives show up with an exclamation point in the Device Manager, and I don't believe you can see them listed at all in My Computer. It's worth a shot though.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild_67
    You could try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

But generally when the problem described in that article occurs, your CD/DVD drives show up with an exclamation point in the Device Manager, and I don't believe you can see them listed at all in My Computer. It's worth a shot though.
    first of all thanks for your help wrathchild_67! Indeed, device manager wont even detect my DVD drive

I think I found what the problem is, I was checking dvd jumper when I realized my DVD drive is missing 1 pin (pin #21, *picture below). After reinstalling Windows, device manager detects everything but my DVD drive, so I decided to leave the current configuration (IDE cables, jumpers, bios settings, etc) and swap the DVD drive for an old CD drive that I have, I kept everything the SAME, guess what? it worked fine, device manager detected my old CD drive with no problems.
    What I found strange is, when I formatted and reinstalled windows I made it using the DVD drive that has 1 pin missing! and everything went Ok until windows started, then the DVD drive stopped working again. Remember I told you it worked just fine until windows started... Its just like when windows starts you cut the power off the DVD drive, it wont open, flash or anything.

My question is, ¿Can 1 pin cause that Windows isnt able to detect or use the drive, but that my bios is still able to detect and use the drive (before windows starts)?

An IDE CDROM shouldn't normal show up as a "DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom device", I think there is soomething wrong there.

Recently I connected my HD into other PC
    What and booted from it or just connected it as a slave device to transfer data. If you connected it as a boot device then Windows will have re-jigged lots of settings to accommodate the new hardware, that’s a sure way to mess things up.

Anyway, try rolling back the IDE drivers, that's the most likely culprit.

The missing pin is normal. Some IDE cables even have that hole blocked. It's an assist in orienting the cable correctly.
    What happens if you boot from a live linux disk? I suspect the dvd would function normally once into the desktop, confirming that the issue is in your windows install.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    The missing pin is normal. Some IDE cables even have that hole blocked. It's an assist in orienting the cable correctly.
    What happens if you boot from a live linux disk? I suspect the dvd would function normally once into the desktop, confirming that the issue is in your windows install.
    The problem is that my drive has 2 missing pins, look carefully you will see 2 holes there...

I'm gonna open the case and try to push the pin back, it seems to me its inserted rather than broken.

look carefully you will see 2 holes there...
    Oops!

Thread Information