Memory upgrade for Toshiba A135-S2276
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory upgrade for Toshiba A135-S2276

Crucial RAM upgrade 1GB only 1/2 shows up

Hi. I just bought a 1 GB RAM stick from Crucial. I used their memory finder to make sure I got the right kind for my laptop (Toshiba A135-S2276). It came w/512 and I added the 1GB, but not all of it shows up. I emailed Crucial (they mention this problem in the info booklet that comes w/ the memory) and got no response. I also say on hold for 1/2 hour before giving up. The laptop is running Vista Basic. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Hi, is it under Windows where only 1GB shows up? What about in the BIOS? It could be that 512MB is getting used by the graphics processor as video memory, but 512MB seems like a lot of memory for that - normally it would only be 256MB max.

I'd suggest that if it doesn't pick up the full amount in the BIOS either to return the memory, as it may be mislabelled.

Good luck.

How much of it shows up? Did you leave the 512 stick in?

Are you configured to run dual channel or single channel? That will be in your BIOS.

Only 894MB shows up. Yes, I left the original 512 in for (hopefully) a total of 1.5 GB.

Try re-seating both sticks and see what that does. It sounds like your 512 is not being recognized. Did you move it when you put the other stick in?

BIOS shows only 894mb system memory is 633kb extended memory is 894mb

I tried re-seating them, and swapping them.

Get back to Crucial, by snail mail if you still get no response to email or phone.
    Ironically, people here recommend Crucial in order to avoid exactly the problem you're having. I bought 512Mb and 1G sodimms off craigslist for my Toshiba A100 notebook and its Compaq mate, and had no problems. One 1G sodimm I tried in the Toshiba produced continuous beeping as soon as it was powered. I passed on that one.

If you remove the 512Mb stick, does the full 1G sodimm show up or does it only register half of it, ie. only 512mb? When I change ram, I remove the battery during the change for safety.

I would guess that you're getting an unusual slow response from Crucial since it is the weekend.
    Try again during regular business hours and explain the situation to them.
    Until then,
    See what the results are when you try DanceMan's suggestion of using only the 1.0 GB memory module from Crucial.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I've tried just the 1GB and it shows up as 1GB. The 512 shows up as 512 (separately). Together, they don't add up.. I'll try Crucial again by phone tomorrow, and by snailmail if I can't get a response soon.
    Thanks again for all your help & suggestions.

You maight change the way the Bios detects the memory. If the bios is set to SPD, the settings may be for the Crucial memory where the origional may need a more relaxed timing to operate. Install just the 512 and see what timings it uses. Install both and force those timings and see if they work together.

That different timing issue sounds like a good explanation.

Radeon express 200M uses no more than 128MB of RAM and that laptop is supposed to handle 2 GB of PC2-4200 RAM.

Another option is to get a second stick of 1GB Crucial RAM to match the first, bringing the system to the max of 2GB and selling the 512 MB stick.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

Memory upgrade for Toshiba A135-S2276

Hi. I've been trying for the past 2 weeks to get a Crucial 1GB memory module upgrade to work w/ a new Toshiba a135-S2276 running Vista. No go.
    Thank you to everyone here who tried to help. The memory does work on a similar Toshiba running XP. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion as to a brand of memory that will work with Vista on this model laptop. The person running Vista likes the new graphics, and doesn't want to go back to XP (go figure??)
    Thanks!!

I've use memory from here for a lot of Laptop customers, haven"t had any problems with them, this page should help,
    http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...model_id=-7392

486 CPU/32MB Memory/Windows 3.11(it rocks!) Sigh.........the good ol Days........

Kingston KVR533D2S4/1G 1GB DDR2-533 PC2-4200 200-Pin SODIMM

I bought this one for the same laptop and it worked fine. Now I have 1.5 GB and it flies with XP.

Thread Information