Why do people steal cell phones?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people steal cell phones?

Why do people steal cell phones?

Why do people steal cell phones? It seems like I'm hearing about how someone just got their cell phne stolen everyday, but why? As soon as it's stolen the owner just calls up a number and reports it and it's shut off. I think re-actvaing it would be difficult because don't the phone people have a way of the checking the codes in the cell phone to see if it was stolen don't they?

many cellphones now, at least cingular and tmo phones, use a sim card for the identification purposes. all you have to do is throw out the sim card and put your own in and you can use the phone. and, recent changes to phone laws now allow any cellphone to be unlock to use on whatever carrier it can so its actually getting a little easier for theives.

its part of the reason why i like blackberries. they are much more secure, they require a password to be entered to use the phone and also for about any other major change you try to do.

Or it could be due to the decreasing size of new phones ,people are losing them and just saying they were stolen.

shouldnt really matter, most policies that i know of catagorize lost/stolen as the same difference...

I like reading about the internet vigilante stories when people get them back. Of course if I were to find the person who stole my cell phone (if I owned one), I'd beat him to within an inch of his life. Then I'd post the pics on Photobucket.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I hate Cellphones....

I have one because of my job, being in management I have to have one. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't own one.

I turn my ringer down to one beep and only look at it when I have a Voicemail, I never answer it right off.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

People steel cell phones to sell them and make a quick buck.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

i leave my audible ringer off most of the time too. i have to have a cell for my job too, and it doesnt make much sense to pay for a second line for the house. ill turn on the ringer when im at a bar or home but thats about it. i always shut off the speaker in stores, movies, anything where i wouldnt want to hear someone elses.

whats annoying me more these days are those damn bluetooth headsets. since when did common citizens become so important they cannot ever be disconnected from their cell network? how many times now have i been talking to someone and they suddenly get a blank stare and follow up by saying "yeah man whats up" leaving me hanging and confused when im SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! anymore when i see some dude in an 80's cadillac with quarter rims and a little cute over-the-ear headset on i just laugh. they look retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    whats annoying me more these days are those damn bluetooth headsets. since when did common citizens become so important they cannot ever be disconnected from their cell network? how many times now have i been talking to someone and they suddenly get a blank stare and follow up by saying "yeah man whats up" leaving me hanging and confused when im SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! anymore when i see some dude in an 80's cadillac with quarter rims and a little cute over-the-ear headset on i just laugh. they look retarded.
    Oh yeah those freaking $%^%$%#%^^&%%$%^& things...

Every time I see one I want to jack slap someone....

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

so its not just me... i guess i could see why people use them in their car, but these people dont ever take them off. how about when youre browing some stuff at best buy, and the guy down the isle just starts talking to himself. you have to look and acknowledge him because you cant tell if hes talking to you or not. then the guy looks at you like YOURE weird. im honestly surprised those things have gained popularity so fast, normally that sort of technology nobody wants to mess with.
    Last edited by krupted; March 19th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.

Besides all that....the idiots look like Lt. Uhura from Star Trek
    Surely these people must not have mirrors in their homes, else they would never go out in public with those things in their ears.

I hope I never get so important that I have to be in touch with the world at all times....geeze.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Most of the ones I see with them look like they don't have 2 pennies to rub together so you know they aren't important.

But they seem to have those things, most are fat, can't speak properly, either drunk or on drugs, and when they get to the checkout they pay with foodstamps.

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    Most of the ones I see with them look like they don't have 2 pennies to rub together so you know they aren't important.

But they seem to have those things, most are fat, can't speak properly, either drunk or on drugs, and when they get to the checkout they pay with foodstamps.
    that is horribly stereotypical and basically true. thats why its so weird to me, these people that use them can barely afford a car but they have the best BT headset you can get. I guess they do lose a lot of money if their clients go elsewhere for their fixes...

I was walking through a terminal in Phoenix, listening to my headphones... and some lady sitting on a bench looks up at me, makes eye contact with me and starts talking. I immediately remove one of my earphones to hear what she has to say (to me). "Excuse me?" i ask. "What? HUH? um..I'M ON THE PHONE" this lady says.

If you are talking to someone with one of those blue tooth sets, the least you could do is not make eye contact with strangers walking by. Very annoying.
    "I have seen the arctic circle, and it is round"

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    that is horribly stereotypical and basically true. thats why its so weird to me, these people that use them can barely afford a car but they have the best BT headset you can get. I guess they do lose a lot of money if their clients go elsewhere for their fixes...

Yeah I know it is but somehow they always seem to have money for booze, smokes, drugs, lottery tickets, cell phones and fatty foods, but they haven't worked a day in their lives.

Thread Information